Samsung Ativ Tab 3 power button not working, device battery always at 0%

Anonymous
2013-10-16T12:00:54+00:00

I am writing to you regarding a Samsung Ativ Tab 3 that I recently bought.

The item was purchased on 26-September-13, model no. is XE300TZC-K01AE. On 3-October-13 morning, I noticed that the screen was frozen and not unlocking when pressing the power button. After pressing the Windows button below the screen, the login screen came up and I was able to log in to Windows. On the home page, noticed that battery was at 0%, although there was about 45% charge around 7 hours back. I connected the charger, but the battery was drained by then and the device powered down. Though the charger was connected, the blue light was not on and also the device was not powering up. The charger was kept connected till 4 PM, but the device was still not powering up. After several calls and discussion with Samsung, the device was sent to a service center for repair and received on 10-Oct.

The device was working absolutely fine again, till yesterday evening. Again, the device froze and power key was not working and Windows button was used to unlock the screen after several attempts. Battery was showing 0% despite having 78% charge just fifteen minutes previously. On connecting the charger, battery charge was still at 0% but not increasing. Luckily this time the device did not shut down, but after 3 hrs of connecting the charger, battery has still been at 0%. I would like to know any suggestions to help solve this problem. I tried restarting the APC Battery Controller in Device Manager, but there was no improvement. I am also attaching results of the powercfg command.

Rgds,

Amrith

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-18T05:59:50+00:00

2 days later....the solution seems to be to just keep it going & not plugged in til the battery empties (backing important stuff up meanwhile). From the fact that it took several days, I gather the "battery 0" warning is part of the misfunction. During this time you can sleep it manually w the "power off" control on the charms bar, being careful not to turn it off (cos then you wont know if the battery's emptied yet), and turn it on w the home key.

Once the battery is totally empty (no reponse of home key, little blue light by power button off), you plug it in and it works.

My guess is this explains what happened previously when I (& others I read) sent it for repair. By the time it got to the workshop the battery had emptied, so they plugged it in, found it worked, & returned it with a message like "you must have forgotten to charge it", missing the problem.

We'll see: if it's something that happens every few months, & is this easily solveable, it's not so bad. Particularly since one can still use it while waiting for the battery to empty.

Wonder if regularly letting the battery get to empty ever few months would prevent the phenomenon?

Be interested to hear what others found.

Rivka

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-10T15:03:58+00:00

    DON'T ALLOW DEVICE TO STAY IN SLEEP MODE FOR HOURS!!!

    THIS CAUSES IT TO NOT AWAKEN FROM THAT MODE. Unless you will being going back on device within several minutes, SHUT IT DOWN rather than putting it asleep.

    This has been the common thread each time my device hasn't awoken; I left it in sleep mode for a few, sometimes several, hours. When returning to it, it wouldn't wake up. I made the mistake again yesterday. Now I recognize what is causing the problem and I'm not going to make that mistake again. Nor do I want anyone else to either. It 's such a great tablet. But we got to take good care of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-09T16:45:45+00:00

    I can tell you why the device behaves like this: When battery is completely drained, the device resets certain values to default. That's what the manual said.

    Apart from that, I'm dealing with the exact same problem for the 3rd time now! Time in between crashes is always about one month.

    I dont install any updates or anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-02T05:52:50+00:00

    Mike thanks

    I do let it update automatically. Interesting idea but for now not relevant since it remains dead. 

    Sending it in after the weekend. I'll let u know the verdict

    RivK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T18:30:52+00:00

    Oh yeah so last week after I took your advice and let the battery drain, I was able to plug it in and fully charge it. It has been functioning ever since. Granted it's only been a week...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments