Samsung Ativ Tab 3 power button not working, device battery always at 0%

Anonymous
2013-10-16T12:00:54+00:00

I am writing to you regarding a Samsung Ativ Tab 3 that I recently bought.

The item was purchased on 26-September-13, model no. is XE300TZC-K01AE. On 3-October-13 morning, I noticed that the screen was frozen and not unlocking when pressing the power button. After pressing the Windows button below the screen, the login screen came up and I was able to log in to Windows. On the home page, noticed that battery was at 0%, although there was about 45% charge around 7 hours back. I connected the charger, but the battery was drained by then and the device powered down. Though the charger was connected, the blue light was not on and also the device was not powering up. The charger was kept connected till 4 PM, but the device was still not powering up. After several calls and discussion with Samsung, the device was sent to a service center for repair and received on 10-Oct.

The device was working absolutely fine again, till yesterday evening. Again, the device froze and power key was not working and Windows button was used to unlock the screen after several attempts. Battery was showing 0% despite having 78% charge just fifteen minutes previously. On connecting the charger, battery charge was still at 0% but not increasing. Luckily this time the device did not shut down, but after 3 hrs of connecting the charger, battery has still been at 0%. I would like to know any suggestions to help solve this problem. I tried restarting the APC Battery Controller in Device Manager, but there was no improvement. I am also attaching results of the powercfg command.

Rgds,

Amrith

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-18T05:59:50+00:00

2 days later....the solution seems to be to just keep it going & not plugged in til the battery empties (backing important stuff up meanwhile). From the fact that it took several days, I gather the "battery 0" warning is part of the misfunction. During this time you can sleep it manually w the "power off" control on the charms bar, being careful not to turn it off (cos then you wont know if the battery's emptied yet), and turn it on w the home key.

Once the battery is totally empty (no reponse of home key, little blue light by power button off), you plug it in and it works.

My guess is this explains what happened previously when I (& others I read) sent it for repair. By the time it got to the workshop the battery had emptied, so they plugged it in, found it worked, & returned it with a message like "you must have forgotten to charge it", missing the problem.

We'll see: if it's something that happens every few months, & is this easily solveable, it's not so bad. Particularly since one can still use it while waiting for the battery to empty.

Wonder if regularly letting the battery get to empty ever few months would prevent the phenomenon?

Be interested to hear what others found.

Rivka

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-31T05:05:52+00:00

    I would like to thank you all for your. comments. I bought the ativ 3 tab and for 2 months it was fine and then the 0 battery charge incident happened. I even  took it to a Samsung tablet repair shop  and they told me that as it had Windows 8, it was not a tablet, it was a laptop and they couldn't fix it. Very helpful, I thought, another pr victory for Samsung. In desperation I started looking for a solution on line. I read many, hold this button down for 30 seconds etc, none of them worked for me. Then I came across this page, drained the charge and now it's working finer, for how long, I don't know. I do have some confidence that if the problem reoccurs, I well know what to.do.

    One additional point that may or may not be of any use to you. When my tab would not turn on, I put my Wife's kindle charger into the top portal and the lights came on straight away. Don't do this while your tab charger is plugged in, as soon as the power lights come on unplug the kindle charger.

    Thanks again.

    Jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T20:03:15+00:00

    Definitely suggest sending it in before warranty expires. You can send them my previous post. There seem to be a batch out there w a battery problem, and it can be fixed. 

    Mine is fine since fixing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T19:50:11+00:00

    Has anyone had any joy with this.

    Do we think this is a software or hardware problem.

    Is this only a problem with windows 8.1 or are people having problems with windows 8.

    Is there any point sending back to Samsung, I have 1 month left on the warranty.

    This machine is new to me, and I also have a month to return it to the shop I bought it from.

    I don't want to do this though as this is just the machine I have been looking for.

    Thanks for any help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-10T18:27:23+00:00

    Hi there

    Sent it in (with the whole forum printout), then called the technician to explain. They found both a faulty battery & a problem in screen wiring & replaced both. Since then (abt a month), it works beautifully w no snags. May be worth getting it overhauled to see if it's the same problem, if it's still misbehaving

     RivK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments