Samsung Ativ Tab 3 power button not working, device battery always at 0%

Anonymous
2013-10-16T12:00:54+00:00

I am writing to you regarding a Samsung Ativ Tab 3 that I recently bought.

The item was purchased on 26-September-13, model no. is XE300TZC-K01AE. On 3-October-13 morning, I noticed that the screen was frozen and not unlocking when pressing the power button. After pressing the Windows button below the screen, the login screen came up and I was able to log in to Windows. On the home page, noticed that battery was at 0%, although there was about 45% charge around 7 hours back. I connected the charger, but the battery was drained by then and the device powered down. Though the charger was connected, the blue light was not on and also the device was not powering up. The charger was kept connected till 4 PM, but the device was still not powering up. After several calls and discussion with Samsung, the device was sent to a service center for repair and received on 10-Oct.

The device was working absolutely fine again, till yesterday evening. Again, the device froze and power key was not working and Windows button was used to unlock the screen after several attempts. Battery was showing 0% despite having 78% charge just fifteen minutes previously. On connecting the charger, battery charge was still at 0% but not increasing. Luckily this time the device did not shut down, but after 3 hrs of connecting the charger, battery has still been at 0%. I would like to know any suggestions to help solve this problem. I tried restarting the APC Battery Controller in Device Manager, but there was no improvement. I am also attaching results of the powercfg command.

Rgds,

Amrith

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-18T05:59:50+00:00

2 days later....the solution seems to be to just keep it going & not plugged in til the battery empties (backing important stuff up meanwhile). From the fact that it took several days, I gather the "battery 0" warning is part of the misfunction. During this time you can sleep it manually w the "power off" control on the charms bar, being careful not to turn it off (cos then you wont know if the battery's emptied yet), and turn it on w the home key.

Once the battery is totally empty (no reponse of home key, little blue light by power button off), you plug it in and it works.

My guess is this explains what happened previously when I (& others I read) sent it for repair. By the time it got to the workshop the battery had emptied, so they plugged it in, found it worked, & returned it with a message like "you must have forgotten to charge it", missing the problem.

We'll see: if it's something that happens every few months, & is this easily solveable, it's not so bad. Particularly since one can still use it while waiting for the battery to empty.

Wonder if regularly letting the battery get to empty ever few months would prevent the phenomenon?

Be interested to hear what others found.

Rivka

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-28T03:54:07+00:00

    Hi im forma México i have the same issue in my samsung ativ 3, after 2 months of using it the battery does not work and i can,t use it for 10 days and after this period of days when i plug it the battery works again, how can i fix this? Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T11:33:12+00:00

    Just came back from the lab a 3rd time, and guess what: "we didn't find any problem; your computer works fine".

    This is more than frustrating. Trying to get the head of BUG again to see what happened to the supposed instructions to correct the problem even if they can't see it.

    To me it seems clear the solution is to replace it, but somehow noone seems to care they're selling a flawed product.

    Any idea of who can give the problem some publicity?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-29T10:58:50+00:00

    I'm still having problems with mine, it's just not a reliable computer that I would not recommend to anyone else. It's a shame, because I love it when it works!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-27T18:12:55+00:00

    Sent it in today (it obligingly died again last nite so maybe they'll even be able to check it in its nonfunctioning state.) I"ll let you know what happens when I get it back & if they claim to have found something

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments