Latest Windows Update for Windows 7 - KB2923545, error Code 800703e6

Anonymous
2014-02-27T11:12:46+00:00

I have just attempted to download the latest Windows Update for Windows 7 - KB2923545 and get error code 80070e6.  i.e. even the download will not complete.

Any ideas for a fix please.

Chris.

Moved from Windows 7 Install, Upgrade and Activate Forum.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-10T20:33:53+00:00

    I do still have the problem.

    I did a repair install and this caused further problems in that the system would not start properly-I carried out a system image recovery, which was successful, but of course the original problem is still present.

    The next step is therefore a complete clean install and I am sure that this will fix the problem, but seems quite dramatic for following reason.

    My OS is W7 Home Premium.  My understanding that the original update dose not apply to a stand alone desktop system and is more allied to a client/server system.  I can download other updates.  I have therefore decided to live with this slight impairment to a file and see how things go.  I have therefore caused a "hide" to this update.

    I will keep the clean install in reserve until absolutely necessary.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-02T15:28:56+00:00

    Chris

    Regarding the disc with SP1 update.  Not certain, but I think I recall SP1 being delivered as a Windows Update.

    If you got the disk with the computer before February 22, 2011 then it does not contain the SP1 update. If it contains the SP1 update then there are less updates to reinstall so it does not take so long.

    I have got quite a comprehensive step-by-step guide to installing a clean system which I have updated over the period, and each time added to it as appropriate.

    If you feel more comfortable doing a clean install then do that. Restoring from a system image can reintroduce the errors, if any, in the system image.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-02T14:55:53+00:00

    Thanks  Gerry

    I have just run System File Checker again with the same result re: corrupted files.

    My point regarding the System Image Backup was that if a number of items/programs did get corrupted or needed sorting out, at least I could get back to the status quo.   I have run the "image restore" a couple of times in the past!

    Regarding the disc with SP1 update.  Not certain, but I think I recall SP1 being delivered as a Windows Update.

    I have got quite a comprehensive step-by-step guide to installing a clean system which I have updated over the period, and each time added to it as appropriate.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-02T14:37:44+00:00

    Chris

    Does your disk have the Windows 7 SP1 update? If not it is 6 not 5.

    A Repair Install should leave your programmes and data files intact but it is sensible to back up your data files.

    I had better do a fresh System Image backup

    No point as all it will do is give you is the ability to restore the status quo. If a Repair Install does not work you would use your Windows 7 disk to reinstall operating system. You would then need to reinstall motherboard drivers, programmes and restore data files.

    If you end up doing a clean install of Windows you should first set up an internet connection, install anti-virus software, update all drivers from the motherboard manufacturer’s web site and install all Windows Updates. Run Disk CleanUp and defragment at intervals.

    You should then be in a position to reinstall programmes. With that in mind make a list of programmes to be installed and check that you have the means to do it. Check that you have the necessary information to recreate your internet connection on the new system. Make a list of what you need to do and the order in which you intend to do each task. This will help you considerably when you carry out the operation. If you have a second computer available when you rebuild your computer system, this can help if you hit a problem and need to check online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-02T14:22:23+00:00

    Gerry, this seems quite dramatic?   Which step do I start from?  Is it 4 or 5?  Will this process maintain all of my programs etc. as installed?

    It sounds as though I had better do a fresh System Image backup just in case.   Would you recommend this?

    chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments