SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-18T14:03:16+00:00

    Hello. Surely you have configured fast start Windows. Try disconnecting fast start (in power options) and secure the card reader work because the Intel (R) 7 Series / C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 - 1E1E load properly.

    Touché LuisBR_1965!!!

    Your suggestion did the trick. Hats off for you!!

    Thank you very much

    Gunnar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-25T21:03:51+00:00

    my problem was windows 8.1pro with media centre  64bit

    did not install usb3 driver had to install windows 7 64bit driver problem  fixed

    motherboard internal usb3 ports on mainboard

    regards r1jcowan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-30T01:59:34+00:00

    Hello 

    I had the same problem with my card reader after installing the wrong driver.

    To fix this issue you have to uninstall this driver and let windows 8.1 install the default driver for card readers . First of all you have to show the hidden drivers in the device manager, to do so follow this instructions that  I found: 

    1. Open the Start menu and choose Run.
    2. Type in cmd and click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)
    4. On the next command prompt line, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
    5. In the Device Manager Console, from the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.

    As you expand the different drivers and devices in the device manager, you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your PC; but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose uninstall to remove it from the system completely.

    Note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you do not need. Be careful that you do not change too many devices, or you might need to re-activate your Windows installation.

    Finally, if you accidentally exit the Device Manager Console you will need to start over again at the command prompt. To close the command prompt window, type exit.

    If you didn't find the card reader driver in device manager try to use a software called USBDeview. This software can show you the devices that you used recently with the last plug/unplug time. if you have any question let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T16:22:20+00:00

    Hi. I have the same problem with my sd card. I have checked it using my mothers windows 7 laptop and it works fine. Not opening on my Windows 8.1 laptop though. I have only had this laptop for a week but have spent the last 3 days trying to get this working. I have installed all the drivers for my HP G2 255 Notebook and have no luck. I have tried running the troubleshooting and it just keeps saying "Hardware changes may not have been detected". I have looked in device manager and found the card reader and it says it is working fine so why does my memory card not open when inserted?

    Please, please can someone tell me how to fix this! I have tried everything I can think of and also what has already been suggested here.

    Many thanks

    I still have the same problem!  Exactly as you described above.  I see "Realtek USB 2.0 cardreader" under "universal serial bus controllers" but the card is not opening,  nothing happens.  I tried to play with drivers of the card and chipset (HM86),  no differense.  

    I've done everything on this forum I think

    I did run the sfc /scannnow in Command Prompt and it did find some errors but I've no idea what to do with it and also I don't know if it has to do annything with it!

    Any help or advice please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-03T09:29:41+00:00

    Hello. In Control Panel / Power Options seeks to "enable quick start" option and disable it. In this way all drivers are loaded at startup and run ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments