SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-24T14:55:56+00:00

    I am having the same problem since upgrading 8.1 Pro on HP p6-2330 PC.  The card reader worked fine with Windows 8 Pro

    None of the suggestions have resolved the issue.  Need help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-24T15:10:37+00:00

    Actually the hint worked me - but only until the machine is rebooted. Every time the machine has been rebooted and I plug in the sd card it requires me to go through the procedure recommended by you. It then works fine until rebooted :(

    Thanks

    Gunnar

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T17:11:37+00:00

    I recently upgraded from xp to 8.1 pro.   A card reader built in to the system does not work.

    The only cable from the back of the reader plugs into a USB port on the motherboard.  

    It has power light, a USB port, and several card slots for different formats.   The power light is on, the USB port works, but the card reader slots are not recognized at all.  They don't show up in the device manager, as removable drives, etc.      There is no driver available to install per the manufacturer ... windows is just supposed to see it but does not.

    It appears that not seeing card readers is very common problem among windows 8.1 users.    I've tried ALL the suggested on MS sites and elsewhere ... nothing seems to actually solve this issue.

    A solution would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T00:01:03+00:00

    Any word on a fix for this damn issue yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T15:04:13+00:00

    Wow!  I'm sorry to read that so many folks still have this problem. 

    I actually blundered into a fix on my own.  Hopefully I can recall the steps as I know nothing about the inner workings of computers. 

    I tried updating drivers.

    I spent at least 1/2 hour on the phone with the Geek Squad who assured me there was no card reader driver installed on my computer.

    Then I followed the steps suggested by the Microsoft Engineer.  As some have posted, it worked until I had to reboot the computer.

    Frustrated because I knew that it had to be a problem with upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1,  I systematically searched through my Device Manager for something that sounded like a driver for a card reader.

    I finally found it listed I believe under Universal Serial Bus Controller.  This was not where the Geek Squad searched.   Of course following the Microsoft Engineers steps may have reinstalled the driver....I have no idea if it was there all the time or not.

    I visited the driver's website and found they had a patch for Windows 8.1.  Mind you this was only a patch not an update.  Hence the reason updating drivers did not work.

    Installed the patch, rebooted and it has worked ever since.

    Maybe if you can't find the driver under Universal Serial Bus Controller, you should follow Microsoft's suggestions then check again.

    I sure hope this helps someone.  Since I primarily use my computer for photography, it was a nightmare for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments