SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-28T16:01:41+00:00

    Hi,

    What is the make and model of the computer?

    Check with any other another SD card if it is getting recognized or detected or you may even check if the same SD card is getting recognized or detected on other computer.

    Let’s follow the methods provided below in the order in which they are preseted and check.

    Method 1:

    **Run the Hardware troubleshooter and check.**Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

    a. Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

    b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

    c. Now type Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option.

    d. Click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

    Method 2: Install optional updates and check.

    a. At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

    b. Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

    c. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-28T17:22:10+00:00

    Thank you for your response.  I have a Dell Inspiron.

    I tried your suggestions yesterday, restarted, and the SD memory still didn't work.  I tried it again after receiving your response today and BINGO it is working.

    The Hardware Troubleshooter said that I need to reinstall the USB-1FxHC1 USB Host Controller.  The fix did not work.  How do I fix this?

    The Windows Update showed an error code 8024402F.  So I ran the Windows Updater troubleshooter and it said "Problems installing recent updates....NOT FIXED".  But, as I said earlier, I restarted the comp and it is now working.

    So, thank you, and please let me know if I still need to fix per the above two error codes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T06:20:27+00:00

    Hi,

    I would you to use the **System** **File** Checker tool and check

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    If the above method doesn’t work, run the DISM tool and check. Refer to “Run the DISM tool” section from the following link. Please ignore the thread title.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x800f081f

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T00:49:07+00:00

    I have 2 computers with the same problem. One is an Acer Aspire V5 with windows 8.1 when I put in a SD card the computer crashes and reboots. I have tried several Sd Cards none work. The second computer is Acer aspire one with a windows 8.1 upgrade the cards just are not read. In a 3rd computer a Acer with Windows 7 the cards all seem to function fine. This problem started when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 

    One more thing all Windows updates were done today and no help

    Thanks John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T05:11:59+00:00

    I have recently upgraded my 3 PCs into Windows 8.1 and have Buffalo TurboPC Card reader writer adapter. I have tried many times to read digital camera SD Card with Card Reader Writer Adapter, but responses are always nothing. I have installed card reader's driver, still there is nothing good change.

    When there was Windows 8 Pro OS, the card reader writer was working fine. Now, how I can overcome this trouble soon. I need to create post cards and photos for New Year 2014.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments