SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-14T20:59:55+00:00

    Thanks for your quick response to my problem.   Windows Explorer  does not see the SD Card.

    Dell XPS8700 running Windows 8.1  Per your advice all Windows & Drivers updates are current.

    Ran the Device Manager and SD Card is displayed as hidden in "Disk drives."

    Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:   Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

    I have tried 3 different SD Cards, rebooted PC. 

    All diagnostics run with no problem.  But original problem still exists.

    Here are the results of the Dell Diagnostics:

    Good news, no errors were found during the diagnostic scan. Please scroll down to review your diagnostic results and suggestions for improving the performance of your system. 

    Card Reader TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device

    Linear Read Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Card Reader TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device

    Pattern Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Card Reader SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Device

    Linear Read Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Card Reader SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Device

    Pattern Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Carl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-14T07:50:03+00:00

    Hi Carl,

    Ensure that you have installed available Windows updates, including Optional updates. I would also suggest you to install latest chipset drivers by downloading from the computer manufacturer’s website.

    Download and install drivers: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

    Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T22:33:22+00:00

    My SD Card Reader is not seen by Windows.  I think this was the first time I tried using it since upgrading to Windows 8.1.  Dell XPS8700

    I tried 3 different SDs which all work fine on a laptop with windows 7.

    I tried your advice and it doesn't help.  I also ran complete "Diagnostics" which don't find any problem.

    Thanks for any help,  Carl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-02T08:08:43+00:00

    Hi Gunnar,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Please do let us know if you need any help with Windows related issues, we're here to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-01T19:43:24+00:00

    Thank you for this hint.

    It helped me with the same problem on a Dell Precision M 4700

    Gunnar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments