SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-02T20:47:21+00:00

    I've been trying to get any of 7 microSD cards to work on my new EWT106 Ematic tablet running Windows 8.1, and nothing has worked. The cards work on other devices, but for some reason do not even get recognized on the tablet, nor does it load (or start processes for) the format options.

    Each of these cards is 32 or 64 gb. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated or the tablet will need to be returned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-25T17:09:13+00:00

    After a full day and a half looking at this issue and trying anything I could find, I decided to "force the issue".

    Open the Device Manager.

    Open the Universal Serial Bus controllers.

    Delete the Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader driver.

    I scanned for Hardware Changes, and to my surprise the Alcor node did not reappear in the USB controllers list.

    So, maybe out of force of habit, I restarted the system.

    After the reboot, I opened the Device Manager again, opened the USB Controllers node again, and found that the Alcor was still not there.  However, in Disk drives, I found a new node called "Multiple Card Reader USB Device".  I plugged in my SD Card and it came right up!  Further tests indicate that the fix is stable and continues to work.

    Adding to the mystery, I looked at the event log and while that node had actually existed since the machine's birth (in 2013, as a Win8.0 box), it was mysteriously deleted on November 5, 2014.  I upgraded from Win8.0 to Win8.1 on September 9, 2014, so the deletion did not happen in the Win8.1 upgrade.

    FWIW, the machine in question is an HP Pavilion p6-2350, with Quad-core AMD, (only) 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-22T19:43:04+00:00

    I just ran into a similar problem. The reader saw the card, but not the contents of the card. The SD card from hubby's camera, which has worked just fine for a couple of years, but last night when I put it into my PC (HP Envy Running Win 8.1.1 with all updates), I could see that the SD drive could see that there was a card in the reader, but not that there was anything on the card.

    This card showed pictures on it both in the camera and also in his PC upstairs (which is running Win 7). I also checked other SD cards in my PC and the contents of those cards were viewable. So I don't think it is my card reader, nor does it seem to be an issue with his card. I was at a loss and eventually just downloaded the contents on his PC and copied them to mine via a shared folder on our LAN. I even tried reformatting the card and taking new pictures, but my PC still failed to see the pictures on the card (it could see the card, not the contents).

    But I'm still at a loss as to why this happened. Any thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-08T06:15:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for replying.

    I apologies for the delayed response. In your previous post you tried SFC scan and you found that some files were corrupted. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files So please refer to the below article and fix the corrupted files.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

    Once your computer files are repaired please follow the below steps and check if it helps you: 

    1. Open up device manager - right click in the very bottom left corner in desktop mode and choose device manager from the menu.

    2. Expand the 'Disk drives' group.

    3. Insert the SD Card - you should see the SD card appear in the Disk drives group, maybe after a few seconds.

    4. Right click the SD card and choose 'Uninstall'.

    5. After it has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for hardware changes' icon (far right in the icon bar). The computer should detect the SD card again.

    6. Restart the computer.

    I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-03T09:55:13+00:00

    Hello. In Control Panel / Power Options seeks to "enable quick start" option and disable it. In this way all drivers are loaded at startup and run ...

    Thx for the answer.  I tried that already but that's not it..    I think I ruled out all the simple solutions but all tips are still more than welcom!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments