SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-26T15:39:11+00:00

    I have a new Dell pavillion . The SD card/ cards  via a ereader are nt working. I ve used card readers in my Acer Netbook , in Win 7 Dell laptop and in a old Acer netbook. These 3 all work or worked. Win 8.1 doesnt . I was due to exhibit photographic work in January . What has gone wrong with this operation which for 10 years has been sooooo easy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-06T18:16:40+00:00

    I have a new Desktop PC built from components, with an Akasa Interconnect SD card/USB 3.0 reader module. I had windows 8 and SD card reader worked fine. Now I have 8.1 and it does not work any more. The module is physically ok, I tried Ubuntu liveCD and was able to read and write SD cards. But not with windows 8.1. When I insert a SD card, Windows plays the "new device found" jingle, led light for card insertion is lit in the Akasa module. After a while the "device removed" jingle is played. Inbetween nothing is visible in "This PC," SD card is nowhere to be seen. If I keep the SD card inserted, this thing keeps looping, device found jingle, then device removed and device found again. This happens with SD cards, all of them. I tested them on another PC, nothing wrong with the cards. If I insert a MicroSD card in the Akasa, that one works. So do all the USB devices.

    I have browsed your data bases and the internet. As this thing works in windows 8 and Ubuntu, the problem must be somewhere in Windows 8.1. I have no knowledge if it stopped working right when I installed 8.1 or later.

    So far I have:

    1. Removed the driver for SD card in Device Manager and then booted and had Windows reinstall it.
    2. Updated BIOS to the latest version.
    3. Updated all mandatory and relevant update packages to windows 8.1

    <4. Tried Akasa firmware update, did not work>.

    1. Tested clean boot with minimum software, only mandatory windows. <retried Akasa firmware update in th eclean boot, still did not work>
    2. Removed drive F: from Device Manager.
    3. Ran "Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows" (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/hardware_device_problems?wa=wsignin1.0). Every time I run it, it says it fixed two items: "Microsoft Fix It Solution - MoreOption" and "Hardware changes might not have been detected".
    4. Ran the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) in Command Prompt (as Admin). Got the answer: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
    5. Ran the DISM tool in prompt. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x800f081f). "No component store corruption" and then "Component store corruption was repaired"
    6. Ran update
    7. Changed power saver options for PCIE, to off
    8. Turned off the fast startup in power options
    9. Installed USBDeview, removed all extra USB devices and USB storage drive letter H: and USB 3.0 card Reader, and rebooted, (Windows reinstalled those that are in use)

    And I have done these:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-unable-to-read-memory-card-after-upgrade/f8966bc3-9389-4493-bf53-64ae2fc23590

     So far I have tried everything on this thread, except reinstall. Windows 8.1 does not work. What should I do? Ubuntu?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T21:38:50+00:00

    I am having the same problem. I upgraded and thought everything was fine until I put my SD card in the slot.  It is not reading the slot at all.  I hope that someone answers soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-08T16:05:51+00:00

    I had Windows 7 and took advantage of Microsoft's offer and up graded to Windows 10.  The download went smoothly and everything seems to work fine except up loading photos from my memory cards.  Every time I try I getting the same error message sating I need permission or the folder is full and stuff like that.  Just a reminder, all this software worked fine with Windows 7.

    Any help you can give me is appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-08-10T15:11:34+00:00

    I had the same problem - it was fixed by installing drivers from my laptop's manufacturer for both PCI and Card Reader ( PCI was marked as having problems in Device Manager)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments