SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T23:22:07+00:00

    The SD card in my Asus EP 121 Slate was no longer showing up in device manager or windows explorer.  Running the troubleshooter as you suggested fixed some issues and the card reader is alive once more.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-10T19:35:39+00:00

    I am experiencing this problem for a long time. After I updated to 8.1 my SD driver stopped working. Are there any REAL fixes for this problem yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T15:04:13+00:00

    Wow!  I'm sorry to read that so many folks still have this problem. 

    I actually blundered into a fix on my own.  Hopefully I can recall the steps as I know nothing about the inner workings of computers. 

    I tried updating drivers.

    I spent at least 1/2 hour on the phone with the Geek Squad who assured me there was no card reader driver installed on my computer.

    Then I followed the steps suggested by the Microsoft Engineer.  As some have posted, it worked until I had to reboot the computer.

    Frustrated because I knew that it had to be a problem with upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1,  I systematically searched through my Device Manager for something that sounded like a driver for a card reader.

    I finally found it listed I believe under Universal Serial Bus Controller.  This was not where the Geek Squad searched.   Of course following the Microsoft Engineers steps may have reinstalled the driver....I have no idea if it was there all the time or not.

    I visited the driver's website and found they had a patch for Windows 8.1.  Mind you this was only a patch not an update.  Hence the reason updating drivers did not work.

    Installed the patch, rebooted and it has worked ever since.

    Maybe if you can't find the driver under Universal Serial Bus Controller, you should follow Microsoft's suggestions then check again.

    I sure hope this helps someone.  Since I primarily use my computer for photography, it was a nightmare for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T00:01:03+00:00

    Any word on a fix for this damn issue yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-14T20:59:55+00:00

    Thanks for your quick response to my problem.   Windows Explorer  does not see the SD Card.

    Dell XPS8700 running Windows 8.1  Per your advice all Windows & Drivers updates are current.

    Ran the Device Manager and SD Card is displayed as hidden in "Disk drives."

    Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:   Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

    I have tried 3 different SD Cards, rebooted PC. 

    All diagnostics run with no problem.  But original problem still exists.

    Here are the results of the Dell Diagnostics:

    Good news, no errors were found during the diagnostic scan. Please scroll down to review your diagnostic results and suggestions for improving the performance of your system. 

    Card Reader TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device

    Linear Read Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Card Reader TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device

    Pattern Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Card Reader SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Device

    Linear Read Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Card Reader SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Device

    Pattern Test Check Alert Icon Passed 

    Carl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments