Windows 8.1 wifi limited dropping slow frustrating

Anonymous
2014-02-05T10:22:29+00:00

Hello,

I've seen some older posts on this site and others that reference this problem, but I've seen no solution as of yet. I live in a house with about 5 different OS's from mac to, now, Windows 8.1. I'm from the states, but I've been visiting friends in New Zealand for three months and just upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Upon doing this, my wifi has had intermittent connectivity at best. I've made sure the router/modem had the latest drivers and the settings were right. I've made sure my laptop had the latest drivers, updates, etc. Funny thing: The machines here with Windows Vista, 7, and 8, as well as those with Mac OS and Android, have zero problems connecting to the internet. No dropping, no reloading web pages over and over and over again to finally get them to show up.

I've also tried, with my 8.1 system, using Windows Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. I've temporarily turned off firewalls in both Windows and on the router/modem, with no change in the problem. I've rolled back drivers and still it's like all the laptops with 8.1 on them (three, one bought in the last month) are misfiring on one or more cylinders (yes, I'm aware that computers don't function like cars. It's an analogy).

Sometimes the connection works fine. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it looks like I have full bars, but web pages or downloads simply stall and I have to reload or re-download. When I connect directly to the router/modem via ethernet cable, zero problems. Everything runs like greased lightning, much as the other devices running OS's other than 8.1.

My specifics:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel Core i7-3667 U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.50GHz

4GB RAM (3.82 usable)

64 bit OS X64 based processor

Network Adapter

Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205

Modem/Router

Telecom Technicolor T G589vn V2

Happy to share general security settings, but the settings are exactly the same for the different operating systems across the board.

Help?

Edit: I should also note that, while the internet is sloppy via wifi using your standard browsers going to URL's, the live tiles on the start page, including Windows Store, Facebook, Skype, or any other live app is also not loading properly, not working, or otherwise not running smoothly when connected to wifi. I also play two videogames online: Mechwarrior and Minecraft. I rarely was ever dropped before upgrading to 8.1, now I have issues connecting to them, and once I do connect, I'm constantly getting dropped.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-06T05:49:31+00:00

Hi Tortugaverde,

The “Limited Connectivity” means that the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

1)       Did you install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN drivers (Version: 16.8.0) on the computer? If yes, was it downloaded from the Lenovo website?

2)       Apart from updating to Windows 8.1, did you make any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

3)       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

Since you do not face any issues with the other Windows Vista, 7, and 8 devices on the same network, this issue seems to be due to the incompatible drivers installed on the computer. Let’s first run the Network and Network Adapter troubleshooter and check if that provides any useful information regarding this issue.


Method 1: Run the Network and Network Adapter Troubleshooters

Step 1: Run the Network Troubleshooter

The Network troubleshooter is an automated tool which can find and automatically fix some common networking problems. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Network Troubleshooter” in the search box.

c)       Click on “Identify and repair network problems” on the left pane of the window.

d)       Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Please check the troubleshooting report and let’s know the details. You may also try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps. Let’s also run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

Step 2: Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

The Network Adapter troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the adapter in the computer for any known issues and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)       Click on “Network Adapter”.

e)       Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Please check the troubleshooting report and let’s know the details. You may also try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

If the issue still persists, then I would suggest you to try installing the latest Windows 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN drivers which are released on 26^th^ Jan 2014 from the Lenovo website and check if that resolves the issue.


Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the latest Wireless LAN Drivers

Before installing the latest drivers, let’s uninstall the old existing drivers from the computer. Please follow these steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Device Drivers


a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b)       Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

c)       Search for the WiFi adapter device from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.

d)       Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please open the Device Manager again and then click on the “Scan for hardware changes” button. Check if Windows 8.1 detects the WiFi adapter device and installs an appropriate driver automatically. If the issue still persists, then try the next step.

Step 2:Download and Install the latest Intel Wireless LAN Drivers from the Lenovo Website

Please download the latest Windows 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN Drivers from this link:

Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, 11bgn, 11ac) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad

For more information and suggestions regarding the Network and Network Adapter issues, you may also refer to these articles:

Wired and wireless network problems

Why can't I connect to a network?

How do I fix network adapter problems?

Please get back to us with the results. If the issue still persists, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T16:11:37+00:00

    Hi BB-wun,

    Thank you so much for letting us know the updates.

    If you need any further assistance with Windows Operating System, please post your query on Microsoft Community Forums and we’ll be glad to assist you with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T16:13:40+00:00

    Hi Codename007,

    Thank you so much for that informative video. I really appreciate you for the efforts that you have taken for this.

    Hope this is helpful for all the others facing similar issues on this forum.

    If you need any further assistance with Windows Operating System, please post your query on Microsoft Community Forums and we’ll be glad to assist you with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T02:01:15+00:00

    I think MS needs to have these issues updated through updates ASAP! instead of having the techs give people the run around.

    Hello Everyone, I purchased a Toshiba laptop windows 8.1 on 12/24/14  it worked fine for a day or so and then I got Limited connection, or I would be connected but could not log on to the internet at all, I call tech support,  1st time they basically had me uninstall &  reboot, in a day or so same thing this time the tech said it was a network problem, and I could have them fix it for $99.95.  I got the laptop to upgrade  from windows 8, so I guess I will returned it to best buy. am glad I took the time to search this problem.  and it is widespread.

      

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T03:30:41+00:00

    Hello Rajesh,

    First, thank you for such a thorough response. I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I understand what Limited Connectivity is. But thank you for explaining that to others that may have the same issue.

    I'm responding so it can/may help others suffering with the same problem. My solution is at the end of this response.

    1. Yes. I did install the Win 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN drivers. I actually tried it both ways, via Lenovo and via Intel.
    2. No I did not make any recent changes to the laptop prior to the issue. The issue occurred immediately after upgrading to 8.1 as I noted in my original post. There was no issue prior to upgrading to 8.1, and I had used the laptop with Win 8 about 6 months prior with no problems.
    3. No I do not have any third-part security system installed. Only the Windows-based firewall and Windows Defender.

    Method 1, Step 1: Network Troubleshooter

    I'm sorry to say I don't have this information for you any more, but I would certainly suggest that others who are having this issue, which it seems are many, could provide it. However, when I ran the troubleshooter, it would intermittently find problems or no problems, sometimes it would fix them temporarily, sometimes it would not fix them at all. The problems persisted. However, there were two of us running Win 8.1 and those were the only machines having problems connecting. Simple troubleshooting and logic states that, if all other Operating Systems and Computer are working, and the two that just updated to 8.1 isn't working, then there's a problem with Win 8.1.

    Method 1, Step 2: Network Adapter Troubleshooter

    Same issue with the network adapter troubleshooting. No issues with the adapter. Again, all other operating systems NOT running 8.1 with adapters were connecting just fine.

    Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall latest Wireless LAN Drivers

    This was interesting and was done prior to my original post to you. I, in fact, mention it in the post. Initially the internet would work fine for a short bit and then, back to the same old problems. I even tried rolling back the driver and reinstalling the latest, trying with both old and new driver to discern a difference. No luck. Same problems.

    Solution

    There is no solution, that I can see, for Win 8.1, or at least there wasn't as of several months ago. I was still having connectivity problems when I returned to the States. So, since I'm computer savvy, and since Win 8.1 just wasn't working (and I don't have a touch-screen, and half of Win 8.1 features are clunky or useless without a touch screen...which, admittedly, is just a issue of preference in functionality, not necessarily a faulty product), I wiped my drive and installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which runs on the Linux kernel. Since then, no problems to report what so ever. Not for everyone, but it does everything I need, takes up much less room, runs faster, and now connects to wireless routers nearly twice as far away with no clunky connectivity issues.

    But thanks for your help. I hope others find a way to make Win 8.1 work for them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments