Windows 8.1 wifi limited dropping slow frustrating

Anonymous
2014-02-05T10:22:29+00:00

Hello,

I've seen some older posts on this site and others that reference this problem, but I've seen no solution as of yet. I live in a house with about 5 different OS's from mac to, now, Windows 8.1. I'm from the states, but I've been visiting friends in New Zealand for three months and just upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Upon doing this, my wifi has had intermittent connectivity at best. I've made sure the router/modem had the latest drivers and the settings were right. I've made sure my laptop had the latest drivers, updates, etc. Funny thing: The machines here with Windows Vista, 7, and 8, as well as those with Mac OS and Android, have zero problems connecting to the internet. No dropping, no reloading web pages over and over and over again to finally get them to show up.

I've also tried, with my 8.1 system, using Windows Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. I've temporarily turned off firewalls in both Windows and on the router/modem, with no change in the problem. I've rolled back drivers and still it's like all the laptops with 8.1 on them (three, one bought in the last month) are misfiring on one or more cylinders (yes, I'm aware that computers don't function like cars. It's an analogy).

Sometimes the connection works fine. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it looks like I have full bars, but web pages or downloads simply stall and I have to reload or re-download. When I connect directly to the router/modem via ethernet cable, zero problems. Everything runs like greased lightning, much as the other devices running OS's other than 8.1.

My specifics:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel Core i7-3667 U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.50GHz

4GB RAM (3.82 usable)

64 bit OS X64 based processor

Network Adapter

Intel Centrino Advanced N 6205

Modem/Router

Telecom Technicolor T G589vn V2

Happy to share general security settings, but the settings are exactly the same for the different operating systems across the board.

Help?

Edit: I should also note that, while the internet is sloppy via wifi using your standard browsers going to URL's, the live tiles on the start page, including Windows Store, Facebook, Skype, or any other live app is also not loading properly, not working, or otherwise not running smoothly when connected to wifi. I also play two videogames online: Mechwarrior and Minecraft. I rarely was ever dropped before upgrading to 8.1, now I have issues connecting to them, and once I do connect, I'm constantly getting dropped.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-06T05:49:31+00:00

Hi Tortugaverde,

The “Limited Connectivity” means that the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

1)       Did you install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN drivers (Version: 16.8.0) on the computer? If yes, was it downloaded from the Lenovo website?

2)       Apart from updating to Windows 8.1, did you make any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

3)       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

Since you do not face any issues with the other Windows Vista, 7, and 8 devices on the same network, this issue seems to be due to the incompatible drivers installed on the computer. Let’s first run the Network and Network Adapter troubleshooter and check if that provides any useful information regarding this issue.


Method 1: Run the Network and Network Adapter Troubleshooters

Step 1: Run the Network Troubleshooter

The Network troubleshooter is an automated tool which can find and automatically fix some common networking problems. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Network Troubleshooter” in the search box.

c)       Click on “Identify and repair network problems” on the left pane of the window.

d)       Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Please check the troubleshooting report and let’s know the details. You may also try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps. Let’s also run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

Step 2: Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

The Network Adapter troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the adapter in the computer for any known issues and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)       Click on “Network Adapter”.

e)       Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Please check the troubleshooting report and let’s know the details. You may also try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

If the issue still persists, then I would suggest you to try installing the latest Windows 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN drivers which are released on 26^th^ Jan 2014 from the Lenovo website and check if that resolves the issue.


Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the latest Wireless LAN Drivers

Before installing the latest drivers, let’s uninstall the old existing drivers from the computer. Please follow these steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Device Drivers


a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b)       Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

c)       Search for the WiFi adapter device from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.

d)       Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please open the Device Manager again and then click on the “Scan for hardware changes” button. Check if Windows 8.1 detects the WiFi adapter device and installs an appropriate driver automatically. If the issue still persists, then try the next step.

Step 2:Download and Install the latest Intel Wireless LAN Drivers from the Lenovo Website

Please download the latest Windows 8.1 compatible Intel Wireless LAN Drivers from this link:

Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, 11bgn, 11ac) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad

For more information and suggestions regarding the Network and Network Adapter issues, you may also refer to these articles:

Wired and wireless network problems

Why can't I connect to a network?

How do I fix network adapter problems?

Please get back to us with the results. If the issue still persists, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-04T13:36:02+00:00

    Thanks for your help, I have been into the USB section all are upto date and un ticked windows power saver.

    Will try for a while and see how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-04T07:53:38+00:00

    What was the USB make and model?

    What you may have an issue with is actually the USB driver. press windows key + x > device manager > expand The USB section on the bottom > right click each one and choose update driver and if there is a power management tab click that and uncheck allow windows to turn this device off to save power.

    What might happen is the USB thinks it isn't being used and it is putting it self to sleep and when it wakes up it messes with the connection. IF that doesn't help you may try and look on the manufactures web site for chipset and USB drivers to see if they have any updates. After you update make sure that check box is unchecked.


    To answer your question this is a little long. There is a section you can use when you talk to device makers who hand off blame. What they are doing is like me buying a Honda and saying it doesn't work then they say you are going to need to talk to Ford.

    A lot of companies say their devices are compatible with 8.1 because Windows can run most programs in compatibility mode all the way back to Windows 95. However, USB dongles go a little further then just a program. They are doing something that isn't a USB port is intended for. IT could be that the driver for the dongle is doing things with an older method that is no longer supported in 8.1.

    Here is where you can check compatibility http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home this is different then a Windows 8.1 certified certificate from Microsoft which means they tested and approved it. That is the only way you can guarantee it is really going to work.

    Windows defender won't cause an issue. The advantage there, as you pointed out, is it is made by Microsoft so when they update security or something having to do with network connectivity in windows their windows defender also gets updated before the updates are released.

    If any company tells you it is a problem with Windows then tell them that Windows doesn't make drivers for your hardware and you are the ones selling it and making the money so you need to fix it. Tell them that windows provides you with a development platform called WDF https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557565(v=vs.85).aspx

    Tell them that according to Microsoft "A KMDF [kernel mode driver] or UMDF [user mode driver] driver is the software installed on the computer that communicates with the hardware to make the device function" which means windows makes the OS and the framework for the manufacture to make the driver only. They do not make the device function or provide any support to make sure the driver works when there are updates. If there is a bug in windows that effects the device the manufacture is supposed to contact Microsoft to enter a bug report. Then Microsoft will update WDF or Windows directly to fix it.

    There are literally million of drivers. There is no way Microsoft could rewrite all of them or write Windows while worrying if a change in the OS will break some driver. Windows would be slow and it would take up 100GB of disk space and, as a programmer I know this first hand, it would take them years to fix a bug and test it against a million devices and a billion different combinations. It would be nice but it would be like making every car work with every part ever made for that car dating back 20 years.

    I use a HP that has a graphics card made for video and image editing and a sony with a Linksys router. The HP was bought in 2007, the card 2008 the sony 2008 and the router was made in 2003. Out of all of those the only one that is actively supported is the graphics card which is good because I was having some issues with it about a year ago. Luckily they owned up and have released updates every month and it has been working better then ever. Windows 8.1 works well with older stuff if the older stuff was made correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-04T06:16:52+00:00

    Hi thanks DanzIZme,

    I will try and answer both posts.

    Well it looks like you are saying it is differently software error or compatibility issues.

    I  was running Win 7 Ult, then I decided to move over to Win 8.1 so I decided to have a clean install of Win 8.1 and the latest Office putting all this on a larger HD and taking the old Win 7 out.

    The computer was upgraded by an IT company with all drivers installed and updated by them at the time of clean install.

    Anti virus program I am using Windows Defender as it comes with the Windows and I would like to think that Windows as it is their own program should work well.

    I have also contacted my server to find out about the ISP issues and they say there is nothing wrong with anything after being on the Telephone with them for an hour while they checked my line.

    Looks like SherriSharp below as many others are having the same issues, I can understand that this all has only happened since installing Win 8.1 as Win 7 was running find and therefore I can understand that drivers etc need to be updated to be compatible to run on the new program from MS, but why does it take soooooooooooooooo long to get the updates out??

    And WHY do they tell you that they are compatible (your going to say to sell the product)! If I contact one company they say it is the other.

    The only way is to buy the latest Dongle or Router to keep up with the times, if they do not get the updates out fast enough, which is just another money making thing on their side!!

    I will try something else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-04T03:54:38+00:00

    I have even go so far as to wipe the hard drive clean and re install the windows 8.1  installed all the updates for windows and all the devices  am only running windows defender now and it works for about 6 hours like I said before then it just cuts out. I do know about computers as  I have a few techs in my family and they all say the same as most of the other techs I have spoken to it is a known issues with windows 8.1 I have windows 7 on my old laptop and no issues there at all and yes I was running the same anti-virus on that laptop and still have it on that one and still no issues. Everything worked fine until I switched to 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments