Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-19T23:22:55+00:00

    For what its worth,  I came home last night and found a couple of Windows Updates that weren't there the evening before when I was trying to upgrade and getting the Error Code: 0xc0000017 (three times all with the same error).  One of these new updates was a Nvidia driver update.  My PC crashed trying to install it resulting in a BSOD on restart and required an automatic restore after several attempts to restart. I updated the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website and the Nvidia driver through windows update went away.  The other update (I should have written it down- sorry) was, I think, a standard windows update and installed without a problem.

    After all this, I went to the Windows App Store and saw that Windows 8.1 was still at around 60% and trying to install.  I cancelled it and killed the App Store process in task manager.  Opened the App Store again and found it was no longer trying to install it.  I clicked on the Windows 8.1 upgrade and lo, it was still in there, again at around 60%.  It finished, my PC restarted and voila! it worked!!

    Was it the updated Nvidia driver?

    The mysterious windows update?

    The restore?

    Killing the existing upgrade process and retrying?

    Alas, I can't tell ya.  What I can tell ya is that once it upgraded and booted up I had a devil of time (about 2 hours of tweaking) getting the new Windows 8.1 to work right with my multi-monitor setup (5).  These problems had to do with Windows 8.1 configuring correct resolutions and monitor placement configuration.  This makes me suspect difficulty with Windows 8.1 and Nvidia drivers but again, I don't really know.  All I know is after all that I detailed above the dang upgrade finally worked.

    Best of luck to y'all in your own Windows 8.1 upgrade adventure!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T01:23:04+00:00

    ok, I finally got my update to install! :)

    this is what I did: (I'm not sure if it will help everyone with this problem)

    I installed my motherboard drivers that I downloaded from the Asus website, even though my mobo is slightly old and could only get the win 7 drivers.

    After I installed it, I tried the update again and it proceeded smoothly and now I'm using 8.1!

    1. so look for your motherboard model number (if you don't know it, download Speccy and it will show you)
    2. google search "[motherboard model number] driver"
    3. make sure it's from the manufacturers website [if there is no win 8 driver, win 7 should work fine too]
    4. download, install, restart

    hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T09:40:59+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Looks like Microsoft was in a hurry to push this update without testing. Apparently there is no solution so far....... I doubt if they will even bother to let users know or push it through automatic update?????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T02:31:24+00:00

    My situation is similar to those previously noted. I am running 8.0 for about a year with no issues. I don't have Webroot or any other AV program other than 8.0 Defender. I have all updates including the installer update for 8.1. What's up with this? I haven't had issues with Windows products since Vista.

    Help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments