Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T16:14:16+00:00

    Okay, here's what I've discovered after some TEN attempts to download 8.1 and eventually resorting to contacting Microsoft help direct and letting their tech guys remotely access my PC:

    8.1 isn't a straightforward upgrade from 8.0 after all.

    8.1 needs THREE CPU processes to be available on the machine before it will work. These are:

    PREFETCHW

    LAHF-SAHF

    CMPXC----- (sorry, but I didn't have time to write it all down!!)

    of the three, my machine has the top two, but not the third.

    As a consequence of this I've been told that I am unable to upgrade to 8.1 on this PC (rats!!), so I'm stuck with 8.0.

    Also, you cannot "downgrade" from 8.0 PRO to 8.1 non-pro versions, they must be a comparable upgrade (pro-to-pro, etc)

    So that's what I have been told by Microsoft Tech team. Hope it helps in some way. Sorry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T16:31:07+00:00

    You mean they told you there is no fix because some random process isn't running in your pc???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T16:44:16+00:00

    Thats the end result of over 1.75hours on the phone to them, and letting two techs loose on the PC, so ....yes, sadly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T16:51:12+00:00

    The last one is CMPXCHG16b. Mine however, has all three, so those experiencing this issue may not be because your CPU is unsupported.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments