Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-12T12:17:10+00:00

    I had the same problem on my Zbook and disabling the "Hybrid graphics" in the BIOS resolved my problems too.  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-05T15:34:36+00:00

    Tried to upgrade from 7 to 8. Brand new HP zbook. Came with win 8 discs but got the 0xc0000017 error at the start. Ended up blanking hard drive and still not worked. Got a clue in the above post mentioning nvidia and disabled the 'hybrid graphics' in the BIOS. Win 8 disc now running.

    This is the Best solutions -

    Disabled the "Hybrid Graphics" in the Bios.

    Now Installing just fine :-) .. Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-28T07:29:56+00:00

    I also just got a HP ZBook 15 and saw it had Win7 installed and I want Win 8 so I stopped the first startup and put in the Win 8  install disc and got the same error. It was solved by disabling Hybrid Graphics in the BIOS as you worte. Thanks.

    One would think that HP have tried to install Win 8 on the laptops before they shipped a new model and then they would have found out that you can't have Hybrid graphics activated. This is the topp end model costing alot, so not good HP!.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T21:28:47+00:00

    Do you have an solution ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments