Error Code 0xc0000017, There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Anonymous
2013-10-17T21:57:10+00:00

I'm getting this blue screen message when Windows 8.1 finishes downloading and I reboot my computer as instructed:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

Error Code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media

However, after getting that message, I'm able to select F9 and it reboots back into Windows 8 with a message stating:

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC

0xC1900101-0x20017

Anybody have insight with what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have 8 GB of RAM, plenty of hard drive storage, and my computer exceeds all the OS requirements, I 've been running Windows 8 great for about a year.

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-10T00:45:18+00:00

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I came across the issue of BSoD code 0x0000017 during a recent upgrade to a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, when I was asked to look at a friend's desktop when she suffered this BSoD code.

There are a few solution that have been batted around, and I have no doubt that they have worked for the person who has posted the solution.

  • unplugging all USB devices certainly reduced the memory allocation for the drivers - if the device is not running then it does not need memory allocation
  • stopping your anti-virus - this will certainly stop any false positives, especially where there are major alterations to the operating system .. we have witnessed this issue perviously during the installation of service packs

The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

  • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
  • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
  • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
  • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

Arthur

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-09T09:19:55+00:00

    Thanks for the info.

    I did use this and it worked well. 8.1 updated to 10, as it was originally and I've not received this statement again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Günter Born 49,461 Reputation points
    2017-10-08T09:22:21+00:00

    The BSoD error code 0x0000017 appears to be associated with "Bad Memory". I have witnessed this error code with systems that are running both x86 & x64 systems, with 4Gb, 8Gb & 12Gb. I am unable to explain the reason why. However, the solution that I use is something that I was taught in the days of Windows 2000 to Windows XP & server 2003.

    • Open a Command Prompt with Administrative Privelages
    • Type "BCDEdit /Enum" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations
    • Download the update .. & before you restart go to the next step
    • Type "BCDEdit /DeleteValue {BadMemory} BadMemoryList" & press Return, or Enter - without quotations

    Hopefully this will give you the solution the the issue that you are experiencing

    I took the time to write something down. A few background details about the badmemory entries found in BCD store preventing Windows PE may be loaded within a ramdisk may be found within the blog post Windows 10: Update error 0xc0000017 (no ramdisk memory).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-16T19:06:29+00:00

    I still am having difficulty trying to get rid of 00017!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-08T15:33:28+00:00

    I know this is a bit of an older post, but it seems to be an ongoing issue with no concrete resolution.  I have been having this issue from a HP Zbook and troubleshooting it for a week now.  Replaced the motherboard with no resolution.  Blank HDD, so the BCD is clean/nonexistant. 

    I have found that the issue is that the recovery tools are based on Windows PE, which creates a ramdisk on boot.  And it only happens on images above a certain size, basic Windows PE can boot fine.  Larger PE images fail to find enough memory to create the ramdisk.

    The solution, in my case, was that the unit was booting using Legacy bios, which doesn't allocate enough ram to the boot device to create large ramdisks.  I had to change "Legacy mode enabled and Secure boot disabled" to "Legacy mode disabled and Secure boot enabled" in order to make the machine boot in UEFI mode, which does allocate enough memory for the ramdisk.

    So basically, whatever the option in your BIOS/UEFI is called, make sure the machine is not booting in Legacy (BIOS) mode and that it is booting in UEFI mode.

    Hopefully this solution will help anyone that comes across this thread as I did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments