Unable to connect my iPhone 5s hotspot to my Windows 8 computer.

Anonymous
2013-12-04T07:06:01+00:00

My iphone 5s personal hotspot (wifi) can not connect to my laptop under windows 8 system. I bring my iphone & lap top to Apple services centre. Apple use a lot of iphone 5 & iphone 5s personal hotspot also unable to connect to my lap top's wifi. Apple also restore my iphone setting also can not connect. Apple take my iphone to connect to other laptop or PC with windows XP is no problem, can connect wifi. After that Apple said that is Windows 8 can not confrigration with iphone. Ask me contact Microsoft. Please help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-04T20:52:23+00:00

My software version: iOS 7.1.2 iPhone5 and Win 8.1 on Lenovo

I feel like a genius today. I have been struggling with this issue for over 4 months and none of the forums on MS or Apple have this correctly resolved. The resolution I found was pretty simple and stupid:

On your iPhone, go to Settings->General->About->Name

Make sure the name you entered for your phone is a single word with no apostrophe's or special characters. Make sure NO SPACES.

If you change the name on the phone, just turn off the Personal Hotspot and turn it back on. Go to your laptop and now connect to the IPhone Hotspot with the new name.

I wonder why Win8.1 is unable to use a device name that has spaces. It is pretty stupid IMHO.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-01T07:56:37+00:00

Hello Winnie,

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disable 802.1X authentication

802.1X authentication can help enhance security for 802.11 wireless networks and wired Ethernet networks. 802.1X uses an authentication server to validate users and provide network access. On wireless networks, 802.1X can work with Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) keys.

This type of authentication is typically used when connecting to a workplace network.

a. Press "Windows" + R key. It will open run Window. Type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.

b. Right-click the network that you want to enable 802.1X authentication for, and then click Properties.

c. Click the Security tab, and then, in the Security type list, click 802.1X.

d. In the Encryption type list, click the encryption type you want to use.

On wireless networks, 802.1X can be used with Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi‑Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2) encryption.

e. In the Choose a network authentication method list, click the method you want to use.

To configure additional settings, click Settings.

Method 2:

Disable the IP Helper service:

a. Press "Windows" + R key. It will open run Window. Type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

b. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties

c. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"

d. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session.

Please reply with results so that we can assist you further.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-26T03:18:39+00:00

    Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  I too have been struggling with this for weeks, and did not think there was a simple answer.  Used your solution and BAM!  worked like it is supposed to.  You have saved me a lot of frustration, and it is much appreciated.  I am posting this using my iphone 6+ wifi hotspot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T15:37:48+00:00

    Hello Dave,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I am sorry for late response.

    Did you try using suggestions in my response on October 16, 2014?

    Please try those suggestions and reply with results.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-26T03:24:17+00:00

    I have a Windows8 laptop that would not connect to my iPhone5 hotspot at all.

    I did what JustSaying_898 did (changed the name of my phone by using settings/general/about/name).  I did not have any spaces in my name but I renamed it anyway with a number in the name and was able to connect.  

    The name which would NOT connect was simply "iPhone".  The new name is "iphone5"  No caps in the new name.  Is it caps that is the issue???

    I agree with JustSaying_898......very stupid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments