How Do I Remove the UTC Timestamp from files backed up by FileHistory?

Anonymous
2014-01-02T19:28:25+00:00

Since I was having so many problems with Windows 8.1 on my ASUS Vivobook x202e, I backed up my files with Windows File History onto an external hard drive and restored the machine to factory settings so I could start using Windows 8 again, with which I have had no issues. 

I record a lot of audio with a freeware recording studio called Audacity, which saves thousands of sound files for each audio project. Because the File History renamed all the files with the UTC timestamp, Audacity does not recognize these thousands of files unless I rename them by deleting the timestamp. I have about 7 audio projects I need to access -- it would take many tedious days to rename all the files.

For example, the original file name was:

e0000d79.au

On my external hard drive, the file appears as:

e0000d79 (2013_11_24 01_59_07 UTC).au

Is there a way to somehow restore these files to their original file name without the timestamp? I looked in File History but was unable to find an option like that.

Thank you,

James

EDIT: I figured it might take some kind of software running a script to do this for me. I found this Powershell script for removing 8 digits that come after an underscore in any file name:

from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16064268/powershell-remove-timestamp-from-filename

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Where {$.Name -match '\d{8}.txt' } | Rename-Item -NewName {$.Name -replace '\d{8}'}

I had to use Powershell to fix an issue with Windows 8.1 not too long ago, but I am not familiar with how it works. Is there some similar script I could run? For example, deleting anything that comes after a beginning parenthesis would work, as there are no parentheses in the names of the files I need cleaned up.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-05T17:58:27+00:00

As I had suspected, File History offers a feature to "restore" your files to your PC which will remove the timestamp, whereas copying and pasting your files from an external leaves the timestamp intact. There is absolutely no need for a complicated script or anything like that.

When I restored my computer to factory settings awhile back, I changed the name of my machine to something new, and I had since started a new File History for the restored machine's files -- in other words, I have two backups, which initially seemed to prevent me from using both, as the File History main screen only presented me with one option -- the current computer's File History.

However, this was not a problem when I found that you can visit File History to restore files from a previous backup as a feature.

  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Under "System and Security," click "Save Backup Copies of your Files with File History"
  3. Click "Select Drive" on the left
  4. Choose the external drive. In my case, I had both backups on the same external.
  5. When you click your drive, the "Select an existing backup" window appears.

I selected my old computer's file history, located the files on which I was sick of having timestamps, and restored to a new folder on my Desktop. Now Audacity recognizes my projects again! No harm done.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T05:44:11+00:00

    "Bulk renaming Utility" PROBLEM SOLVED 

    Granted this is a little late, but I have solved the "Bulk renaming Utility"  (extra text at the end of files) time-stamp problem.   Trust me, IT IS SIMPLE, just follow the instructions.  If you follow the instructions, it should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete :)

    I recently graduated from a coding academy and was determined to create the solution using the Java Programming Language since I couldn't find an adequate solution online.  I will outline what you  need to do step by step.  I realize many people may not have a programming background so if you want to skip some steps go right ahead.  However, I explain everything below:   

    1.  Download intelliJ (this is where you will enter the code I wrote)

    https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/#section=windows

    2.  Install (I recommend accepting all default settings as we have only one particular purpose)

    1. Open (if not automatic after install) and click on "Create New Project"
    2. Don't change/click on anything on first screen just click on "Next" 

    The second page, click on the "use template" then click on next

    5.  Name the project "rename"

    6.   Close out the tip bar.  You should see code that looks something like this:

    package com.company;public class Main{public static void main(String[] args){    //write your code here    }} 
    

    On the task bar, Click on "View" >> "Tool Windows" >> "Project" 

    7.  Under the name you chose in Step #5 ("rename" but can be anything), navigate to folder "src" and right click it

    8.  Go to New>>Java Class>> And name it "Traverse" (must be capitalilized)

    9.   In the "Traverse" page, paste this code right after the very first opening bracket, i.e., the thing that looks like this --> "{" :

    public static void traverse(File dir){if (dir.isDirectory()) {        File[] listOfFiles = dir.listFiles();for (int i = 0; listOfFiles != null && i < listOfFiles.length; i++) {if (listOfFiles[i].isDirectory()) {traverse(listOfFiles[i]);            }if (listOfFiles[i].isFile())            {//delete unwanted substring here                String original = listOfFiles[i].toString();String toRemove = " (2017_08_25 16_38_09 UTC)";                String new_name = original.replace(toRemove, "");//permanently chane name of file                File oldfile = new File(original);                File newfile = new File(new_name);if(oldfile.renameTo(newfile))                {                    System.out.println("File renamed");                }else{                    System.out.println("Sorry! The file can't be renamed.");                }            }        }    }}
    

    Afterwards, it will likely ask to import "java.io.File", say yes

    1. VERY IMPORTANT: 

         In the above code, one portion is underlined & in italics.  That was the date ON MY COMPUTER!  Your date to remove WILL LIKELY be different.  If so, CHANGE IT! 

         Also, keep the space after the opening quotation mark.  It is important so your files don't have an weird space after EVERY file name, e.g., Hello.txt opposed to Hello   .txt

    11.  Click back on the "Main.java" page, delet the "//write your code here" and copy/past the following:

        File test= new File("C:/User/jacquan/Desktop/test_folder");    File folder2 = new File("put YOUR path to folder with UTC dates here");    File folder3 = new File("can do as many folders at once as you want");   Traverse files = new Traverse();   files.traverse(test);   files.traverse(folder2);   files.traverse(folder3);}
    

    Again, it will likely ask to import "java.io.File", say yes

    12.  You are almost done, all you have to do is change the path (if unsure what that means, google this exact phrase "find folder path for mac/windows")

         FYI: the path of your folder(s) that has the unwanted dates goes inside the parentheses with green text AND inside the quotation marks

         And if it's not obvious, if you only have one folder, and you change only one folder path, delete the other two options as this solution will not work properly.  

    *************************************CAUTION******************************************

    For some reason people often mess up directions.  I advise you to create a test folder on your desktop.  In the test folder, copy/paste a few files and folders (with files) that have the time stamp .  See Step#13

    Please check that folder before you do anything to your original files.  If the test folder deletes the unwanted characters, then put the original paths back in the code and proceed with instructions. 

    *************************************CAUTION*******************************************

    13.  On the top right of the screen, there is a sideways triangle (a play button), click it.

    14.  DONE!!! GO CHECK YOU FOLDER(S) DATES FREE!!!!!

    I hope this helps, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

    If this worked, you can uninstall intellij if you want to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T20:16:53+00:00

    I have been able to remove the UTC timestamp. This is how I did it.

    After going round and round in circles, phoning Microsoft and searching the web, I still came up with no answers on how to remove the UTC time stamp.

    What happened with me was that I installed windows 10 over 32 bit windows 7 home premium.  The newly installed windows 10 didn't respond well and so I took the decision to do a clean install of windows 10 and at the same time change from 32 bit to 64 bit.  After making a backup I then installed (clean install through custom setup) windows 10 64 bit and I have to say it is fast and responsive with no glitches.

    I then decided to restore from my file history backup but no matter how I tried it would not accept it. However I could see my files, (thousands of them) but they all had the  long  UTC time stamp in brackets.  On manually moving these files over to my directory folders the UTC time stamp was still there. With no help from other sources I changed my search to apps that could modify file names.  I came across the open source "Bulk Renaming Utility" the link is http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main\_Intro.php

    This is how it worked for me: Load up the "Bulk Renaming Utility and in the "Remove 5" box" tick R. In "Words box" enter the time code information with brackets that you can copy and paste from one of the file history files (it is the same for all of the files for that particular file history backup) In "Crop" enter with the drop down .. AFTER. Tick "Trim" (this will remove any gaps). Untick Add, Auto date Numbering.

    Then select (Crtl A) as many files as you can and press "Rename" or Ctrl R.  You should see all your selected files back to normal with the UTC time stamp removed.  Repeat this for files in all folders.

    Regards, Martin

    This was a life saver! I will never use Microsoft backup again. I copied to an external hard drive and never had a clean backup from Microsoft without the UTC tags. When my new hard drive as installed and i loaded all my photos, music, videos and docs. they all had time stamps. Plus all the files were labeled as "Read Only" Sometimes I hate Microsoft. Apparently its a default. But you can fix it, see how at the end.

    The description above is great, but if your really unclear about it, i can give some more details if this helps you. It will benefit you if you are totally newbie to look at the Help info for the software.  So download it and install it. When you open the Bulk Rename Utility look to the top of toolbar see Help to far right.  Click on Help: Contents: Getting Started. Read it. Then also click on All Renaming Options. It explains all the boxes and how to use them. The one you want to really look at is "REMOVE". It has a note at the bottom that says:

    Note: When you use the "crop" option, you have the ability of specifying a "special" value using the wildcard (*). This will remove the specified string, and any characters occupied by the wildcard. So for example, specifying (*) would convert "Hello(ABC) Joe" to just "Hello Joe", as it has removed the two square brackets and everything between.

    SO THIS IS WHAT I DID:

    I did my folders separately. I recommend that you try just one file and not an entire folder to see how it works first. 

    I started with my entire Document folder from the left side of the utility program. (It views your files like Microsoft explorer does.) So I clicked on documents. Then they all show up in the utility window. If your files are long. Slide the separator bar from Name & New Name so you can see what your file is going to look like after the rename. NOTE: if some files don't have a UTC time stamp, then nothing will happen to them, they stay the same.

    If for some reason the utility box under all your files isn't there, you may have to right click on any file and choose "Bulk Rename Here" to get it to pop up. I think it already is there when you load it. If so disregard. 

    Up on top of the utilities toolbar, See Remaining Options. Click that and tick "prevent duplicates".

    Then its mostly what Martin said to do: 

    Most everything happens in the Remove box part. If you make a mistake or want to start over you can click on Reset near Revert & Rename. 

    in the "Remove 5" box" tick R. (mine was already ticked) 

    In "Words box" enter the time code information with brackets that you can copy and paste from one of the file history files (it is the same for all of the files for that particular file history backup) I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT. I ENTERED THIS (*) Its called a wildcard and it will remove everything that it sees FIRST IN (between these).

    NOTE: I had a few files that were numbered before the UTC time stamp. (1) (2) (3) etc. so it removed the number sequence and not the UTC. I just repeated the folder again and got all the UTC's removed. 

    In "Crop" enter with the drop down .. AFTER. I DIDN'T DO THIS. I CHOSE "SPECIAL" IN THE CROP DROP DOWN. BECAUSE I USED THE (*) WILDCARD.

    Tick "Trim" (this will remove any gaps).

    Untick Add, Auto date Numbering...ON ALL THREE BOXES TO THE RIGHT OF THE REMOVE BOX.

    I also made sure in the Filters (12) section that three boxes were checked:

    Folders, Files & Sub folders. 

    Then click on one of the files and then Then select (Crtl A), this will select all folders.

    Scroll down through the new name and see what your files will look like before you rename them. I see a revert button but thankfully I didn't have to use it or I didn't know if it really reverted things back. 

     Press "Rename" or Ctrl R. A popup will come up asking you are you sure you want to rename, last chance and click ok.

    You should see all your selected files back to normal with the UTC time stamp removed. 

    Repeat this for files in all folders.

    NOTES: once i renamed all the files in my folder, the files just sat there once it was done. I wasn't sure it was done. you can look at the Objects box to the very far bottom left of the program to see it working. Then I had to click on the top part of the left side of "explorer view" on "my PC" to get them out of there. I never figured out how to clear the files in the utility screen after. Then I just opened up my real Windows Explorer and looked at all my Documents and they were all perfect back to normal with no UTC crap. I was impressed how fast it did it too! 

    Playing around trying to figure out the program I saw how cool the features are. You can rename files, photos, number stuff, change time stamps and dates on the photos in bulk. Its is pretty nice software to have expecially because its good and free.

    HOW TO CHANGE  READ ONLY FILES: Just right click onto your folder: Document for example and click properties. Then see the Read only box ticked, untick it and hit apply. A pop up will come up and tick the button that says:  Apply changes to this folder, subfolders & files

    You can do this for all folders that may have got backed up as read only files. 

    Hope it helps. I am newbie and with Martins post I was able to figure it out. 

    Thanks Martin!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T20:39:38+00:00

    I have been able to remove the UTC timestamp. This is how I did it.

    After going round and round in circles, phoning Microsoft and searching the web, I still came up with no answers on how to remove the UTC time stamp.

    What happened with me was that I installed windows 10 over 32 bit windows 7 home premium.  The newly installed windows 10 didn't respond well and so I took the decision to do a clean install of windows 10 and at the same time change from 32 bit to 64 bit.  After making a backup I then installed (clean install through custom setup) windows 10 64 bit and I have to say it is fast and responsive with no glitches.

    I then decided to restore from my file history backup but no matter how I tried it would not accept it. However I could see my files, (thousands of them) but they all had the  long  UTC time stamp in brackets.  On manually moving these files over to my directory folders the UTC time stamp was still there. With no help from other sources I changed my search to apps that could modify file names.  I came across the open source "Bulk Renaming Utility" the link is http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main\_Intro.php

    This is how it worked for me: Load up the "Bulk Renaming Utility and in the "Remove 5" box" tick R. In "Words box" enter the time code information with brackets that you can copy and paste from one of the file history files (it is the same for all of the files for that particular file history backup) In "Crop" enter with the drop down .. AFTER. Tick "Trim" (this will remove any gaps). Untick Add, Auto date Numbering.

    Then select (Crtl A) as many files as you can and press "Rename" or Ctrl R.  You should see all your selected files back to normal with the UTC time stamp removed.  Repeat this for files in all folders.

    Regards, Martin

    This was a life saver! I will never use Microsoft backup again. I copied to an external hard drive and never had a clean backup from Microsoft without the UTC tags. When my new hard drive as installed and i loaded all my photos, music, videos and docs. they all had time stamps. Plus all the files were labeled as "Read Only" Sometimes I hate Microsoft. Apparently its a default. But you can fix it, see how at the end.

    The description above is great, but if your really unclear about it, i can give some more details if this helps you. It will benefit you if you are totally newbie to look at the Help info for the software.  So download it and install it. When you open the Bulk Rename Utility look to the top of toolbar see Help to far right.  Click on Help: Contents: Getting Started. Read it. Then also click on All Renaming Options. It explains all the boxes and how to use them. The one you want to really look at is "REMOVE". It has a note at the bottom that says:

    Note: When you use the "crop" option, you have the ability of specifying a "special" value using the wildcard (*). This will remove the specified string, and any characters occupied by the wildcard. So for example, specifying (*) would convert "Hello(ABC) Joe" to just "Hello Joe", as it has removed the two square brackets and everything between.

    SO THIS IS WHAT I DID:

    I did my folders separately. I recommend that you try just one file and not an entire folder to see how it works first. 

    I started with my entire Document folder from the left side of the utility program. (It views your files like Microsoft explorer does.) So I clicked on documents. Then they all show up in the utility window. If your files are long. Slide the separator bar from Name & New Name so you can see what your file is going to look like after the rename. NOTE: if some files don't have a UTC time stamp, then nothing will happen to them, they stay the same.

    Up on top of the utilities toolbar, See Remaining Options. Click that and tick "prevent duplicates".

    Then its mostly what Martin said to do: 

    Most everything happens in the Remove box part. If you make a mistake or want to start over you can click on Reset near Revert & Rename. 

    in the "Remove 5" box" tick R. (mine was already ticked)

    In "Words box" enter the time code information with brackets that you can copy and paste from one of the file history files (it is the same for all of the files for that particular file history backup) I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT. I ENTERED THIS (*) Its called a wildcard and it will remove everything that it sees FIRST IN (between these).

    NOTE: I had a few files that were numbered before the UTC time stamp. (1) (2) (3) etc. so it removed the number sequence and not the UTC. I just repeated the folder again and got all the UTC's removed. 

    In "Crop" enter with the drop down .. AFTER. I DIDN'T DO THIS. I CHOSE "SPECIAL" IN THE CROP DROP DOWN. BECAUSE I USED THE (*) WILDCARD.

    Tick "Trim" (this will remove any gaps).

    Untick Add, Auto date Numbering...ON ALL THREE BOXES TO THE RIGHT OF THE REMOVE BOX.

    I also made sure in the Filters (12) section that three boxes were checked:

    Folders, Files & Sub folders. 

    Then click on one of the files and then Then select (Crtl A), this will select all folders.

    Scroll down through the new name and see what your files will look like before you rename them. I see a revert button but thankfully I didn't have to use it or I didn't know if it really reverted things back. 

     Press "Rename" or Ctrl R. A popup will come up asking you are you sure you want to rename, last chance and click ok.

    You should see all your selected files back to normal with the UTC time stamp removed. 

    Repeat this for files in all folders.

    NOTES: once i renamed all the files in my folder, the files just sat there once it was done. I wasn't sure it was done. you can look at the Objects box to the very far bottom left of the program to see it working. Then I had to click on the top part of the left side of "explorer view" on "my PC" to get them out of there. I never figured out how to clear the files after. Then I just opened up my real Windows Explorer and looked at all my Documents and they were all perfect back to normal with no UTC crap. I was impressed how fast it did it too! 

    Playing around trying to figure out the program I saw how cool the features are. You can rename files, photos, number stuff, change time stamps and dates on the photos in bulk. Its is pretty nice software to have expecially because its good and free.

    HOW TO CHANGE  READ ONLY FILES: Just right click onto your folder: Document for example and click properties. Then see the Read only box ticked, untick it and hit apply. A pop up will come up and tick the button that says:  Apply changes to this folder, subfolders & files

    You can do this for all folders that may have got backed up as read only files. 

    Hope it helps. I am newbie and with Martins post I was able to figure it out. 

    Thanks Martin!!

    Many thanks for your nice comments Carol.   It is always appreciated when someone like yourself has also given additional contribution to my original answer so many thanks for that and your very concise write up for the forum community. Regards, Martin.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-07T20:47:39+00:00

    **PROBLEM SOLVED** 

    Granted this is a little late, but I have 100% solved the time-stamp problem.   Trust me, IT IS SIMPLE, just follow the instructions.  If you follow the instructions, it should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete :)

    I recently graduated from a coding academy and was determined to create the solution using the Java Programming Language since I couldn't find an adequate solution online.  I will outline what you  need to do step by step.  I realize many people may not have a programming background so if you want to skip some steps go right ahead.  However, I explain everything below:   

    1.  Download intelliJ (this is where you will enter the code I wrote)

    https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/#section=windows

    2.  Install (I recommend accepting all default settings as we have only one particular purpose)

    1. Open (if not automatic after install) and click on "Create New Project"
    2. Don't change/click on anything on first screen just click on "Next" 

    The second page, click on the "use template" then click on next

    5.  Name the project "rename"

    6.   Close out the tip bar.  You should see code that looks something like this:

    package com.company;public class Main{public static void main(String[] args){    //write your code here    }} 
    

    On the task bar, Click on "View" >> "Tool Windows" >> "Project" 

    7.  Under the name you chose in Step #5 ("rename" but can be anything), navigate to folder "src" and right click it

    8.  Go to New>>Java Class>> And name it "Traverse" (must be capitalilized)

    9.   In the "Traverse" page, paste this code right after the very first opening bracket, i.e., the thing that looks like this --> "{" :

    public static void traverse(File dir){if (dir.isDirectory()) {        File[] listOfFiles = dir.listFiles();for (int i = 0; listOfFiles != null && i < listOfFiles.length; i++) {if (listOfFiles[i].isDirectory()) {traverse(listOfFiles[i]);            }if (listOfFiles[i].isFile())            {//delete unwanted substring here                String original = listOfFiles[i].toString();String toRemove = " (2017_08_25 16_38_09 UTC)";                String new_name = original.replace(toRemove, "");//permanently chane name of file                File oldfile = new File(original);                File newfile = new File(new_name);if(oldfile.renameTo(newfile))                {                    System.out.println("File renamed");                }else{                    System.out.println("Sorry! The file can't be renamed.");                }            }        }    }}
    

    Afterwards, it will likely ask to import "java.io.File", say yes

    1. VERY IMPORTANT: 

         In the above code, one portion is underlined & in italics.  That was the date ON MY COMPUTER!  Your date to remove WILL LIKELY be different.  If so, CHANGE IT! 

         Also, keep the space after the opening quotation mark.  It is important so your files don't have an weird space after EVERY file name, e.g., Hello.txt opposed to Hello   .txt

    11.  Click back on the "Main.java" page, delet the "//write your code here" and copy/past the following:

        File test= new File("C:/User/jacquan/Desktop/test_folder");    File folder2 = new File("put YOUR path to folder with UTC dates here");    File folder3 = new File("can do as many folders at once as you want");   Traverse files = new Traverse();   files.traverse(test);   files.traverse(folder2);   files.traverse(folder3);}
    

    Again, it will likely ask to import "java.io.File", say yes

    12.  You are almost done, all you have to do is change the path (if unsure what that means, google this exact phrase "find folder path for mac/windows")

         FYI: the path of your folder(s) that has the unwanted dates goes inside the parentheses with green text AND inside the quotation marks

         And if it's not obvious, if you only have one folder, and you change only one folder path, delete the other two options as this solution will not work properly.  

    *************************************CAUTION******************************************

    For some reason people often mess up directions.  I advise you to create a test folder on your desktop.  In the test folder, copy/paste a few files and folders (with files) that have the time stamp .  See Step#13

    Please check that folder before you do anything to your original files.  If the test folder deletes the unwanted characters, then put the original paths back in the code and proceed with instructions. 

    *************************************CAUTION*******************************************

    13.  On the top right of the screen, there is a sideways triangle (a play button), click it.

    14.  DONE!!! GO CHECK YOU FOLDER(S) DATES FREE!!!!!

    I hope this helps, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

    If this worked, you can uninstall intellij if you want to.

    Many thanks Jacquan for your contribution. In many cases the bulk renaming utility has provided the answer to the majority of people with this problem, bearing in mind that this problem ranges from people with little computing knowledge to expert level.  I don't think you can claim though that your solution 100% solves this problem as for many it is too complex a solution to tackle.  However for experts where the "Bulk renaming Utility" has not been successful this may help.

    Regards, Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments