How Do I Remove the UTC Timestamp from files backed up by FileHistory?

Anonymous
2014-01-02T19:28:25+00:00

Since I was having so many problems with Windows 8.1 on my ASUS Vivobook x202e, I backed up my files with Windows File History onto an external hard drive and restored the machine to factory settings so I could start using Windows 8 again, with which I have had no issues. 

I record a lot of audio with a freeware recording studio called Audacity, which saves thousands of sound files for each audio project. Because the File History renamed all the files with the UTC timestamp, Audacity does not recognize these thousands of files unless I rename them by deleting the timestamp. I have about 7 audio projects I need to access -- it would take many tedious days to rename all the files.

For example, the original file name was:

e0000d79.au

On my external hard drive, the file appears as:

e0000d79 (2013_11_24 01_59_07 UTC).au

Is there a way to somehow restore these files to their original file name without the timestamp? I looked in File History but was unable to find an option like that.

Thank you,

James

EDIT: I figured it might take some kind of software running a script to do this for me. I found this Powershell script for removing 8 digits that come after an underscore in any file name:

from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16064268/powershell-remove-timestamp-from-filename

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Where {$.Name -match '\d{8}.txt' } | Rename-Item -NewName {$.Name -replace '\d{8}'}

I had to use Powershell to fix an issue with Windows 8.1 not too long ago, but I am not familiar with how it works. Is there some similar script I could run? For example, deleting anything that comes after a beginning parenthesis would work, as there are no parentheses in the names of the files I need cleaned up.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-05T17:58:27+00:00

As I had suspected, File History offers a feature to "restore" your files to your PC which will remove the timestamp, whereas copying and pasting your files from an external leaves the timestamp intact. There is absolutely no need for a complicated script or anything like that.

When I restored my computer to factory settings awhile back, I changed the name of my machine to something new, and I had since started a new File History for the restored machine's files -- in other words, I have two backups, which initially seemed to prevent me from using both, as the File History main screen only presented me with one option -- the current computer's File History.

However, this was not a problem when I found that you can visit File History to restore files from a previous backup as a feature.

  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Under "System and Security," click "Save Backup Copies of your Files with File History"
  3. Click "Select Drive" on the left
  4. Choose the external drive. In my case, I had both backups on the same external.
  5. When you click your drive, the "Select an existing backup" window appears.

I selected my old computer's file history, located the files on which I was sick of having timestamps, and restored to a new folder on my Desktop. Now Audacity recognizes my projects again! No harm done.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T06:43:20+00:00

    Thank you for this you have save my life!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T20:20:21+00:00

    What if i don't have file history copies. It was during a copy of all my photos to a new pc when all of a sudden the UTC code appeared. But the original untainted files no longer exist.

    Is there still a way to eliminate the UTC codes?

    ALSO IMPORTANT TO NOTE: at the same time the UTC code attached to all my photos, all the thumbnails are faded gray.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    ET

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T23:11:53+00:00

    What if i don't have file history copies. It was during a copy of all my photos to a new pc when all of a sudden the UTC code appeared. But the original untainted files no longer exist.

    Is there still a way to eliminate the UTC codes?

    ALSO IMPORTANT TO NOTE: at the same time the UTC code attached to all my photos, all the thumbnails are faded gray.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    ET

    Does it look as if your greyed out photo files have substantial file sizes?  If you right click on them and look at properties you should get file size or sizes.  If so is this what you would expect for a photo file size?  If they are very low in value then I would suggest these files do not have enough content to be your photographs. But the converse would suggest they are your photographs and would them be a start for something to work on.  Also if you have lost your previous files you could try downloading "Recuva" which can recover lost files.  It is free to use. Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T22:17:35+00:00

    Thanks very much for trying to help!

    All the greyed photos appear to have original file size and are definitely the original photos. But they are masked and the original names have the additional UTC codes following the original names.

    I can view these corrupted files - virtually all in .jpg format - by using the windows viewer. But that has very limited editing and other access. I usually use the Office Pictures program which is the default for me on my PC.

    A new development: i got new PC and when i copy all photos onto and external drive and then copy to new Win10 PC, many photos are NOT copied!! Even though when copying, it shows the full count of 30,000+ photos copying over, they in fact to not.

    Thanks for any advice you may have to offer or a referral to someone who can would be much appreciated.

    Cheers!

    ET

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments