How Do I Remove the UTC Timestamp from files backed up by FileHistory?

Anonymous
2014-01-02T19:28:25+00:00

Since I was having so many problems with Windows 8.1 on my ASUS Vivobook x202e, I backed up my files with Windows File History onto an external hard drive and restored the machine to factory settings so I could start using Windows 8 again, with which I have had no issues. 

I record a lot of audio with a freeware recording studio called Audacity, which saves thousands of sound files for each audio project. Because the File History renamed all the files with the UTC timestamp, Audacity does not recognize these thousands of files unless I rename them by deleting the timestamp. I have about 7 audio projects I need to access -- it would take many tedious days to rename all the files.

For example, the original file name was:

e0000d79.au

On my external hard drive, the file appears as:

e0000d79 (2013_11_24 01_59_07 UTC).au

Is there a way to somehow restore these files to their original file name without the timestamp? I looked in File History but was unable to find an option like that.

Thank you,

James

EDIT: I figured it might take some kind of software running a script to do this for me. I found this Powershell script for removing 8 digits that come after an underscore in any file name:

from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16064268/powershell-remove-timestamp-from-filename

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Where {$.Name -match '\d{8}.txt' } | Rename-Item -NewName {$.Name -replace '\d{8}'}

I had to use Powershell to fix an issue with Windows 8.1 not too long ago, but I am not familiar with how it works. Is there some similar script I could run? For example, deleting anything that comes after a beginning parenthesis would work, as there are no parentheses in the names of the files I need cleaned up.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-05T17:58:27+00:00

As I had suspected, File History offers a feature to "restore" your files to your PC which will remove the timestamp, whereas copying and pasting your files from an external leaves the timestamp intact. There is absolutely no need for a complicated script or anything like that.

When I restored my computer to factory settings awhile back, I changed the name of my machine to something new, and I had since started a new File History for the restored machine's files -- in other words, I have two backups, which initially seemed to prevent me from using both, as the File History main screen only presented me with one option -- the current computer's File History.

However, this was not a problem when I found that you can visit File History to restore files from a previous backup as a feature.

  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Under "System and Security," click "Save Backup Copies of your Files with File History"
  3. Click "Select Drive" on the left
  4. Choose the external drive. In my case, I had both backups on the same external.
  5. When you click your drive, the "Select an existing backup" window appears.

I selected my old computer's file history, located the files on which I was sick of having timestamps, and restored to a new folder on my Desktop. Now Audacity recognizes my projects again! No harm done.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-20T02:06:45+00:00

    I am in Windows 10 and the "Select an existing backup" never showed up.  Any tips on how to make this work with Windows 10? My hard drive crashed and I am trying to restore my files

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-05T09:30:22+00:00

    You have saved my life (possibly literally, as losing all of the novels in the series i am writing sent my depression spiraling) 

    Once my depression had really kicked in was when i discovered the empty scrivener projects were likely a naming error, but the thought of manually renaming each one was literally too much for me mentally and emotionally. 

    Finding this, your solution, was literally THE best thing to happen to me since the birth of my youngest child. Thank you so much. 

    (yes i know i sound lame and pathetic here. But i thought MartinAmor deserved acknowledgement of how he helped me.)

    Hello Diannika, many thanks for your kind response.  I can understand how you feel when all your work is saved in a "trusted" backup but for some reason becomes irretrievable.  The feeling of all that work that one does and then thinking it all might be lost, is a very unhappy feeling.  I am so pleased this worked for you.  Regards, Martin Amor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-05T04:51:26+00:00

    You have saved my life (possibly literally, as losing all of the novels in the series i am writing sent my depression spiraling) 

    Once my depression had really kicked in was when i discovered the empty scrivener projects were likely a naming error, but the thought of manually renaming each one was literally too much for me mentally and emotionally. 

    Finding this, your solution, was literally THE best thing to happen to me since the birth of my youngest child. Thank you so much. 

    (yes i know i sound lame and pathetic here. But i thought MartinAmor deserved acknowledgement of how he helped me.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-28T03:05:31+00:00

    I too ran into this issue. The best fix I found was to use the Bulk Rename tool that Stack Overflow directed me to. So far its been working great, but just be sure to double check files as you go.

    http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments