How Do I Remove the UTC Timestamp from files backed up by FileHistory?

Anonymous
2014-01-02T19:28:25+00:00

Since I was having so many problems with Windows 8.1 on my ASUS Vivobook x202e, I backed up my files with Windows File History onto an external hard drive and restored the machine to factory settings so I could start using Windows 8 again, with which I have had no issues. 

I record a lot of audio with a freeware recording studio called Audacity, which saves thousands of sound files for each audio project. Because the File History renamed all the files with the UTC timestamp, Audacity does not recognize these thousands of files unless I rename them by deleting the timestamp. I have about 7 audio projects I need to access -- it would take many tedious days to rename all the files.

For example, the original file name was:

e0000d79.au

On my external hard drive, the file appears as:

e0000d79 (2013_11_24 01_59_07 UTC).au

Is there a way to somehow restore these files to their original file name without the timestamp? I looked in File History but was unable to find an option like that.

Thank you,

James

EDIT: I figured it might take some kind of software running a script to do this for me. I found this Powershell script for removing 8 digits that come after an underscore in any file name:

from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16064268/powershell-remove-timestamp-from-filename

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Where {$.Name -match '\d{8}.txt' } | Rename-Item -NewName {$.Name -replace '\d{8}'}

I had to use Powershell to fix an issue with Windows 8.1 not too long ago, but I am not familiar with how it works. Is there some similar script I could run? For example, deleting anything that comes after a beginning parenthesis would work, as there are no parentheses in the names of the files I need cleaned up.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-05T17:58:27+00:00

As I had suspected, File History offers a feature to "restore" your files to your PC which will remove the timestamp, whereas copying and pasting your files from an external leaves the timestamp intact. There is absolutely no need for a complicated script or anything like that.

When I restored my computer to factory settings awhile back, I changed the name of my machine to something new, and I had since started a new File History for the restored machine's files -- in other words, I have two backups, which initially seemed to prevent me from using both, as the File History main screen only presented me with one option -- the current computer's File History.

However, this was not a problem when I found that you can visit File History to restore files from a previous backup as a feature.

  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Under "System and Security," click "Save Backup Copies of your Files with File History"
  3. Click "Select Drive" on the left
  4. Choose the external drive. In my case, I had both backups on the same external.
  5. When you click your drive, the "Select an existing backup" window appears.

I selected my old computer's file history, located the files on which I was sick of having timestamps, and restored to a new folder on my Desktop. Now Audacity recognizes my projects again! No harm done.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T20:14:06+00:00

    You are a little God!! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-22T20:58:35+00:00

    Ctrl A is the normal function in Microsoft Apps for "Select All"  you will have to put your cursor within the files first in order to select your files. Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-22T17:55:17+00:00

    This is how it worked for me: Load up the "Bulk Renaming Utility and in the "Remove 5" box" tick R. In "Words box" enter the time code information with brackets that you can copy and paste from one of the file history files (it is the same for all of the files for that particular file history backup) In "Crop" enter with the drop down .. AFTER. Tick "Trim" (this will remove any gaps). Untick Add, Auto date Numbering.

    Then select (Crtl A) as many files as you can and press "Rename" or Ctrl R.  You should see all your selected files back to normal with the UTC time stamp removed.  Repeat this for files in all folders.

    Regards, Martin

    I did this and the remove five box was encircled by a red square but when I pressed control A nothing happened. At bottom of screen it said no objects selected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-21T18:16:45+00:00

    I have 10 drives - two sets of 5 actually, where one set copies the other. Now I have these copies of UTC renamed files all over them, and it really is a total mess. Thousands of files have been duplicated and renamed. So someone who thought this would be a great feature ... well, you might know how I feel about it. File dates are already in the file _ there was no need for this. Its like dealing with a 6 year old buzzing around on sugar.

    I did a pc search on 'UTC' and found 25,537 affected files, and deleted them all. I was surprised when the computer booted up again. I know I'll lose some Steam files and Unreal Tournament for sure. Thousands of files were I-Tunes garbage. Some were MS telemetry. So, what's going to work, and what's not going to work in the future on this PC is anyone's guess. For sure, don't have time for this kind of non-sense, so please MS genius', have a talk among your peers before you do stuff like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments