How Do I Remove the UTC Timestamp from files backed up by FileHistory?

Anonymous
2014-01-02T19:28:25+00:00

Since I was having so many problems with Windows 8.1 on my ASUS Vivobook x202e, I backed up my files with Windows File History onto an external hard drive and restored the machine to factory settings so I could start using Windows 8 again, with which I have had no issues. 

I record a lot of audio with a freeware recording studio called Audacity, which saves thousands of sound files for each audio project. Because the File History renamed all the files with the UTC timestamp, Audacity does not recognize these thousands of files unless I rename them by deleting the timestamp. I have about 7 audio projects I need to access -- it would take many tedious days to rename all the files.

For example, the original file name was:

e0000d79.au

On my external hard drive, the file appears as:

e0000d79 (2013_11_24 01_59_07 UTC).au

Is there a way to somehow restore these files to their original file name without the timestamp? I looked in File History but was unable to find an option like that.

Thank you,

James

EDIT: I figured it might take some kind of software running a script to do this for me. I found this Powershell script for removing 8 digits that come after an underscore in any file name:

from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16064268/powershell-remove-timestamp-from-filename

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Where {$.Name -match '\d{8}.txt' } | Rename-Item -NewName {$.Name -replace '\d{8}'}

I had to use Powershell to fix an issue with Windows 8.1 not too long ago, but I am not familiar with how it works. Is there some similar script I could run? For example, deleting anything that comes after a beginning parenthesis would work, as there are no parentheses in the names of the files I need cleaned up.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-05T17:58:27+00:00

As I had suspected, File History offers a feature to "restore" your files to your PC which will remove the timestamp, whereas copying and pasting your files from an external leaves the timestamp intact. There is absolutely no need for a complicated script or anything like that.

When I restored my computer to factory settings awhile back, I changed the name of my machine to something new, and I had since started a new File History for the restored machine's files -- in other words, I have two backups, which initially seemed to prevent me from using both, as the File History main screen only presented me with one option -- the current computer's File History.

However, this was not a problem when I found that you can visit File History to restore files from a previous backup as a feature.

  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Under "System and Security," click "Save Backup Copies of your Files with File History"
  3. Click "Select Drive" on the left
  4. Choose the external drive. In my case, I had both backups on the same external.
  5. When you click your drive, the "Select an existing backup" window appears.

I selected my old computer's file history, located the files on which I was sick of having timestamps, and restored to a new folder on my Desktop. Now Audacity recognizes my projects again! No harm done.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-06T06:43:20+00:00

    Thank you for this you have save my life!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-17T16:47:06+00:00

    Como yo había sospechado, archivo de historia ofrece una función para "restaurar" sus archivos a su PC que se quite la marca de hora, mientras que copiar y pegar archivos desde un externo deja intacto la fecha y hora. Absolutamente no hay necesidad de un guión complicado ni nada como eso.

    Cuando restauré mi equipo para ajustes de fábrica de nuevo un rato, cambié el nombre de mi máquina a algo nuevo y ya había comenzado una nueva historia de archivo para los archivos de la máquina restaurada--en otras palabras, tengo dos copias de seguridad, que inicialmente parecían me impide utilizar ambos, como la pantalla principal del archivo historia sólo me presentan con una opción--historia de archivo de la computadora actual.

    Sin embargo, esto no era un problema cuando me enteré de que se puede visitar historia de archivos para restaurar archivos desde una copia de seguridad anterior como una función.

    1. ir a Panel de Control
    2. en "Sistema y seguridad", haga clic en "Guardar copia de seguridad copias de su archivos con archivo la historia"
    3. Haga clic en "Select Drive" a la izquierda
    4. Elija la unidad externa. En mi caso, tuve dos copias en el mismo externo.
    5. al hacer clic en la unidad, aparecerá la ventana "Seleccione una copia de seguridad existente".

    Había seleccionado historia de archivo de mi computadora vieja, encuentra los archivos en que estaba enfermo de tener marcas de tiempo y restaurado a una nueva carpeta en mi escritorio. ¡Ahora Audacity reconoce mis proyectos nuevo! No hay daño hecho.

    No se entiende bien como desarrolla los pasos Es poco concreto

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-30T23:53:20+00:00

    del  *UTC)* /s /F

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-19T18:45:26+00:00

    Yes, using Powershell is a simple way to remedy this problem. Navigate to the folder containing the files you wish to fix. 

    In the address bar, type ‘powershell’ and hit Enter. As shown in method 1 here: 

    https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/open-powershell-in-a-specific-location/

    Then paste the following script at the prompt:

    Get-ChildItem -Recurse | Where-Object { $_.Name -match " ?(\d\d\d\d_\d\d_\d\d \d\d_\d\d_\d\d UTC)" } | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace " ?(\d\d\d\d_\d\d_\d\d \d\d_\d\d_\d\d UTC)", ""}

    Press Enter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments