How Do I Remove the UTC Timestamp from files backed up by FileHistory?

Anonymous
2014-01-02T19:28:25+00:00

Since I was having so many problems with Windows 8.1 on my ASUS Vivobook x202e, I backed up my files with Windows File History onto an external hard drive and restored the machine to factory settings so I could start using Windows 8 again, with which I have had no issues. 

I record a lot of audio with a freeware recording studio called Audacity, which saves thousands of sound files for each audio project. Because the File History renamed all the files with the UTC timestamp, Audacity does not recognize these thousands of files unless I rename them by deleting the timestamp. I have about 7 audio projects I need to access -- it would take many tedious days to rename all the files.

For example, the original file name was:

e0000d79.au

On my external hard drive, the file appears as:

e0000d79 (2013_11_24 01_59_07 UTC).au

Is there a way to somehow restore these files to their original file name without the timestamp? I looked in File History but was unable to find an option like that.

Thank you,

James

EDIT: I figured it might take some kind of software running a script to do this for me. I found this Powershell script for removing 8 digits that come after an underscore in any file name:

from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16064268/powershell-remove-timestamp-from-filename

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Where {$.Name -match '\d{8}.txt' } | Rename-Item -NewName {$.Name -replace '\d{8}'}

I had to use Powershell to fix an issue with Windows 8.1 not too long ago, but I am not familiar with how it works. Is there some similar script I could run? For example, deleting anything that comes after a beginning parenthesis would work, as there are no parentheses in the names of the files I need cleaned up.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-01-05T17:58:27+00:00

As I had suspected, File History offers a feature to "restore" your files to your PC which will remove the timestamp, whereas copying and pasting your files from an external leaves the timestamp intact. There is absolutely no need for a complicated script or anything like that.

When I restored my computer to factory settings awhile back, I changed the name of my machine to something new, and I had since started a new File History for the restored machine's files -- in other words, I have two backups, which initially seemed to prevent me from using both, as the File History main screen only presented me with one option -- the current computer's File History.

However, this was not a problem when I found that you can visit File History to restore files from a previous backup as a feature.

  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Under "System and Security," click "Save Backup Copies of your Files with File History"
  3. Click "Select Drive" on the left
  4. Choose the external drive. In my case, I had both backups on the same external.
  5. When you click your drive, the "Select an existing backup" window appears.

I selected my old computer's file history, located the files on which I was sick of having timestamps, and restored to a new folder on my Desktop. Now Audacity recognizes my projects again! No harm done.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-07T13:20:01+00:00

    I thought I had an answer but I Still have the problem.   All of my backups have the UTC timestamp that File History adds to backups.   This includes my external drive backups.  Your solution would have worked if I had a clean backup without the UTC timestamps.

    I am a novice at this and am wondering if there is some sort of macro I can apply to my C: drive and remove these time stamps?  This would give me a clean C: drive for the future.

    My current status:

    I am using windows 8.1

    I recently started to use Carbonite's online backup for all my computer information.  If I can remove these UTC  timestamps from my C: drive, Carbonite will also automatically delete them within the next 30 days as they won't exist anymore when Carbonite continues to do my online backups.  (I would also like to clean up my external drive backups with your solution)

    Many of my picture folders have duplicate and triple copies of the original pictures with UTC timestamps on them as well as a copy with the normal timestamp.  Maybe File history does not recognize the new copy with the UTC timestamp  and makes a new one?

    My Windows live mail is not effected by the UTC timestamp. (probably because file history does not copy them)

    This problem has only developed since I started trying to use File History for my backups.   Any help or suggestions would be helpful!!   Thanks in advance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-04T11:21:33+00:00

    This worked for me too. I selected the backup that I wanted to use and that took care of it. Mine had an old computer and my current computer. Once I choose the current one I was able to go through and start restoring folders without getting that time stamp.

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-01T21:37:06+00:00

    Many thanks for the solution. I had exactly the same problem, compounded by the issue Windows 8.1 has with recognising an external hard drive attached via USB. Great to find an effective quick answer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-26T09:12:53+00:00

    Hi,

    Glad to know you fixed the issue. Thank you for sharing the resolution, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

    Please feel free to reply, in case if you need any further assistance or information on this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments