Windows 8.1 folder black shadow bug in dialog icons/context menu

Anonymous
2013-10-25T08:52:11+00:00

There's a bug in the Windows 8.1 dialog box and context menu.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create empty folder
  2. Delete folder, the dialog box will show the folder icon with a black line.

This is also present in the context menu selection, more specifically in the 'send to', icons are surrounded by a black edge. But hovering over them will make the black lines disappear. 

I can perfectly replicate it on 3 machines (2 of which are clean installs of 8.1), other users have also confirmed it. See screenshots below.

I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia driver if that matters.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-30T13:24:53+00:00

    Fascinating. I had to do it via the registry. Strangely the drop shadow remains on the desktop which is nice.

    However, this doesn't fix everything, it still loads the largest icon (as it seams), and scales it down small. So the shadow is fixed, but the icon remains pixelated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-30T17:20:51+00:00

    I'm surprised this issue STILL isn't fixed by Microsoft. There's a reply from a Support Engineer on April, 10th saying that they have escalated the case to the concerned team. However, there is no updates whatsoever on fixing the problem ever since.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-04T13:27:00+00:00

    I also found this Forum..

    http://www.askvg.com/windows-8-1-bug-icons-look-distorted-in-delete-confirmation-dialog-box-and-send-to-menu/

    It didn't work for me but some of you can give it a shot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T13:00:59+00:00

    Wow, I can't believe how old this bug is and yet after all those Tuesday updates Microsoft didn't fix this.

    A mod posted here back in April saying that this probleem has been escalated to the concerning team and we didn't hear anything since then.

    Still having this ugly problem Microsoft!

    AkshayPatel1210: The fix didn't work for me unfortunately

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments