Windows 8.1 folder black shadow bug in dialog icons/context menu

Anonymous
2013-10-25T08:52:11+00:00

There's a bug in the Windows 8.1 dialog box and context menu.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create empty folder
  2. Delete folder, the dialog box will show the folder icon with a black line.

This is also present in the context menu selection, more specifically in the 'send to', icons are surrounded by a black edge. But hovering over them will make the black lines disappear. 

I can perfectly replicate it on 3 machines (2 of which are clean installs of 8.1), other users have also confirmed it. See screenshots below.

I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia driver if that matters.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T02:01:01+00:00

    Hey guys,

    I seem to have noticed another ugly icon although I'm not sure if this was introduced in 8.1 or was already there in windows 8 .

    It's the .mp3 icon in case you don't have associated any albumcover with it. Mp3's seem to be automatically associated with the modern Music app instead of Window Media Player and that app gives the ugly mp3 icons (see icon left below). If you change the standard associated app of mp3's to WMP, you'll get the normal icons for mp3's (see icon below right).

    Anyone else noticed this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T05:56:18+00:00

    Hey guys,

    I seem to have noticed another ugly icon although I'm not sure if this was introduced in 8.1 or was already there in windows 8 .

    It's the .mp3 icon in case you don't have associated any albumcover with it. Mp3's seem to be automatically associated with the modern Music app instead of Window Media Player and that app gives the ugly mp3 icons (see icon left below). If you change the standard associated app of mp3's to WMP, you'll get the normal icons for mp3's (see icon below right).

    Anyone else noticed this?

    Nope, must be something wrong with your icon cache.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T16:30:05+00:00

    Hmm.. weird. What icon DO you have for mp3's then? I noticed that any other file extensions associated with the Music app (wma, wav) gives me that ugly icon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T17:51:26+00:00

    This can happen due to codec issues. You have any codec packs installed? I remember it happening to my PC to a while back. Don't remember how it got fixed.

    Get your registry cleaned. I think that might fix these issues. Also, if you have anything that stops unnecessary Windows services, like the iobit Game Booster or TuneUp Utilities Turbo/Economy mode, trying switching them off. That will also fix some issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments