Windows 8.1 folder black shadow bug in dialog icons/context menu

Anonymous
2013-10-25T08:52:11+00:00

There's a bug in the Windows 8.1 dialog box and context menu.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create empty folder
  2. Delete folder, the dialog box will show the folder icon with a black line.

This is also present in the context menu selection, more specifically in the 'send to', icons are surrounded by a black edge. But hovering over them will make the black lines disappear. 

I can perfectly replicate it on 3 machines (2 of which are clean installs of 8.1), other users have also confirmed it. See screenshots below.

I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia driver if that matters.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-04T11:20:09+00:00

    I have the same issue on two my computers: laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro x64 RTM + All Updates and on desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro x32 RTM + All Updates.

    Laptop:

    — Intel HD Graphics 4000 15.33.8.64.3345

    — Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 331.93 x64

    Desktop:

    — Nvidia GeForce 210 331.93 x32

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-27T15:38:24+00:00

    It is worse here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T12:38:32+00:00

    I've seen it on systems with integrated Intel graphics too.

    It's happening across all types of GPUs. I'm keeping Windows updated and I've installed all updates till date. Still, this problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T11:07:29+00:00

    I've seen it on systems with integrated Intel graphics too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments