Windows 8.1 folder black shadow bug in dialog icons/context menu

Anonymous
2013-10-25T08:52:11+00:00

There's a bug in the Windows 8.1 dialog box and context menu.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create empty folder
  2. Delete folder, the dialog box will show the folder icon with a black line.

This is also present in the context menu selection, more specifically in the 'send to', icons are surrounded by a black edge. But hovering over them will make the black lines disappear. 

I can perfectly replicate it on 3 machines (2 of which are clean installs of 8.1), other users have also confirmed it. See screenshots below.

I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia driver if that matters.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T11:47:46+00:00

    Yup a bug.

    I have the same problem on my side.

    I have an Nvidia GPU (GTX 260) and also happens on my laptop (Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M).

    It could be an Nvidia driver bug. Do you guys have an Nvidia GPU?

    Unlikely, I've seen it on systems with integrated Intel graphics too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T05:22:09+00:00

    Hi James,

    Yep seems to be so, since I have GT555m and another laptop with GT660m, both of which has the same set of issues.

    Also if u go to shortcut "Add folder to library", u'll see the same issue there as well..

    Getting sick and tired of these issues, the most frustrating part is that this comes from Microsoft.. Crossed all the hurdles like,

    1. Windows 8.1 not accepting Windows 8 keys
    2. BSOD on the Intel 1030 Wi-Fi cards
    3. Store update
    4. Another big service pack (GA Update)
    5. Most of the programs like Bit defender are not compatible with Windows 8.1.
    6. Issues with gaming mouse.
    7. Refresh/Reset feature broke.
    8. Recently found out even Bing Smart Search is broke, When I click the results it doesn't do anything. tried resetting the search but still no luck.

    Should have stuck to Windows 7 or even Windows 8.. My bad... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T00:50:35+00:00

    Yup a bug.

    I have the same problem on my side.

    I have an Nvidia GPU (GTX 260) and also happens on my laptop (Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M).

    It could be an Nvidia driver bug. Do you guys have an Nvidia GPU?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-31T14:09:02+00:00

    Alright, this happened with me too. I'm updating windows to see if it makes any difference!

    Updating won't help, it's a clear Windows 8.1 bug.

    Yeah, I did all the updates that are released till date and the bug still persists. I hope they see it and fix it soon.

    P.S. It sometimes disappears though. but the black borders around the icons in the send to menu are consistent. I have the latest AMD WHQL drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments