Coming back to my home network seems to have fixed the problem. Can't say for sure what the issue was, but it was network related somehow.
Windows Update is unable to check for updates, error 80072EE2
Today Windows Update told me that it hasn't been able to check for updates in the last 30 days. I attempted to check for updates manually and received an error (80072EE2). I used the Windows Update troubleshooter from Microsoft and found that there could be missing/corrupted files. I ran sfc /scannow and referred to the detail text file. It found that bootmgfw.efi.mui is missing. I don't know how to replace this file. I also used DISM, but because Windows Update isn't working, I can't replace the file that way.
The only times my computer runs into problems is when I run any sort of Windows Update (including trying to update virus definitions) and sometimes when I restart my computer (the screen stays dark for several minutes - more than it should).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I can attach to help figure out the source of the issue. The last time my laptop was able to receive Windows Updates was 5/26/14. Below are the bits from the detail file that show the MUI file as missing:
2014-06-24 19:12:40, Info CSI 00000096 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info CSI 00000098 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"
2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info CSI 00000099 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info CSI 00000834 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info CSI 00000835 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"
2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info CSI 00000836 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
At this point I'm prepared to go through with a full reinstall...
You may wish to try a Refresh before doing a Reset (or a "full reinstall"). See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Note: Chances are your computer has a hidden Recovery partition which would be used to do a Reset (AKA System Recovery) such that the "install disks" aren't necessary.
Note: A Refresh, Reset and a "full reinstall" will install Norton free-trial again (but invalid now). You will need to run the entire multi-step fix in my previous reply before you attempt to install any updates and before making sure Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled.
Good luck!
39 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-06-25T20:08:44+00:00 How does the computer-in-question connect to the internet (e.g., ADSL/cable broadband; dial-up; Wi-MAXX; mobile wireless)? Is a (wireless) router involved?
Is KB2919355 listed in Installed Updates?
What Definitions version is currently displayed in Defender's Update tab?
-
Anonymous
2014-06-25T06:07:09+00:00 I'm running Windows 8.1 right now. This laptop came with Windows 8 clean-installed and I updated to 8.1 shortly after the update was released. I don't use any third party anti-virus software, just Windows Defender.
This issue occurred a few weeks back when I tried updating my antivirus definitions. I received the same error (80072EE2), but I was able to download the updated definitions manually from the Microsoft website. I don't really suffer any other connection issues except at peak hours, but I've attempted updating with Windows Update both on and off peak hours. This issue has persisted for a long time now.
-
Anonymous
2014-06-25T05:28:13+00:00 - You may encounter temporary connection-related errors [e.g., 0x80072EE2] when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
Help us help you: Start by reading this "sticky" post...
• What information to post in the Windows Update forum
http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395
Also see...
• Suggestions for asking a question in help forums
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
Note: If you upgraded a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8 or Win8.1, state that in your post, too.