Windows Update is unable to check for updates, error 80072EE2

Anonymous
2014-06-25T02:51:09+00:00

Today Windows Update told me that it hasn't been able to check for updates in the last 30 days. I attempted to check for updates manually and received an error (80072EE2). I used the Windows Update troubleshooter from Microsoft and found that there could be missing/corrupted files. I ran sfc /scannow and referred to the detail text file. It found that bootmgfw.efi.mui is missing. I don't know how to replace this file. I also used DISM, but because Windows Update isn't working, I can't replace the file that way.

The only times my computer runs into problems is when I run any sort of Windows Update (including trying to update virus definitions) and sometimes when I restart my computer (the screen stays dark for several minutes - more than it should).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's anything I can attach to help figure out the source of the issue. The last time my laptop was able to receive Windows Updates was 5/26/14. Below are the bits from the detail file that show the MUI file as missing:

2014-06-24 19:12:40, Info                  CSI    00000096 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000098 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:12:42, Info                  CSI    00000099 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000834 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000835 [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..nager-efi.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_en-gb_68408c0dc1958b90\[l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui"

2014-06-24 19:24:58, Info                  CSI    00000836 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"bootmgfw.efi.mui" of Microsoft-Windows-BootEnvironment-Core-BootManager-EFI.Resources, Version = 6.3.9600.17031, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-GB", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-19T14:18:14+00:00

Coming back to my home network seems to have fixed the problem. Can't say for sure what the issue was, but it was network related somehow.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-27T18:13:24+00:00

At this point I'm prepared to go through with a full reinstall...

You may wish to try a Refresh before doing a Reset (or a "full reinstall"). See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: Chances are your computer has a hidden Recovery partition which would be used to do a Reset (AKA System Recovery) such that the "install disks" aren't necessary.

Note: A Refresh, Reset and a "full reinstall" will install Norton free-trial again (but invalid now). You will need to run the entire multi-step fix in my previous reply before you attempt to install any updates and before making sure Defender & the Windows Firewall are enabled.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T22:41:36+00:00

    You log file appears to show component store corruption. 

    Try running the following command from an elevated command prompt (search for cmd then right click and run as administrator): 

    dism /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealth

    Please post the output after running the command.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T22:24:13+00:00

    Answer-by-number:

    1a. Wi-Fi as in the computer connects wirelessly via a router that's connected to an ADSL or cable modem* or Wi-Fi as in a mobile wireless (USB) modem?

    1b. If the former, who owns the router?

    • Note: Defs v1.177.364.0 has a timestamp of 21 June 2014, 00:13 UTC. This tells us that Automatic Updates was working 4 or 5 days ago, however briefly.
    1. Is KB2957689, KB2964736, KB2939576, KB2957189, KB2965788, KB2966072 and/or KB2926765 listed inInstalled Updates*(not Update History*)?
    2. When (exact date) was KB2919355 installed according to Installed Updates?

    4. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

    1. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?
    2. Is Adobe Flash Player v14.0.0.125 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T20:57:39+00:00

    The computer is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi. I believe a wireless router is involved, however I am unable to access it; I am not the administrator.

    KB2919355 is listed in Installed Updates.

    The definitions version I have right now is 1.177.364.0.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments