The dism command won't mess anything up it just is a tool created by MSFT to check the systems files for errors then it uses windows update to get the correct file and replaces it so its just as easy as running an update. I'll try and break up the other stuff into easier to follow instructions. Most of it just sounds scarey.
Temp files windows opens on start up
Everytime i turn my laptop on the Temp files window opens automatically how can i stop this? its driving me mad
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-07-21T22:13:01+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-07-21T22:06:24+00:00 Rob
I'm seeing these items in Autoruns in this section
>HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components 22/08/2013 16:43
>Themes Setup File not found: /UserInstall
>Windows Desktop Update File not found: U
-
Anonymous
2014-07-21T22:01:54+00:00 This is really confusing me as i'm no IT expert, i wish i had someone who knows what their doing to do all this for me, i'm scared i'll make things worse!
-
Anonymous
2014-07-21T21:41:42+00:00 Sorry I'm going to jump in the middle here. When you start up to laptop is it from sleep and cold start? And did I understand you have the issue when you plug it in?
If you haven't do these two things windows key + X select admin command prompt and run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
You said you had a lot of errors in event viewer so that will kill two birds with one stone. And not all events are errors that repeat.
next do a search with advanced options set to file contents in file explorer for you temp file address you can try with both c:\ and just the last part. I am wondering if something has added a command to open your temp file location inside an .ini or startup file for a program.
The next thing I would try is closing the folder and turning off a process then enabling it to see if one pops up. I would guess maybe your DVD drive but that is just a guess.
EDIT
Sorry I was on my phone which had a mind of its own today
Look in here to see if there is a shortcut to the temp file location. It may be a hidden file so make sure in the file explorer ribbion the view tab has show hidden items selected
C:\Users(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
While you are there you can look in all of them so see if there is a shortcut to it I would look in google to see if there is one since you said it happened more while that was in use. Maybe searching for the word "shortcut" or "temp" will give you a list.
-
Anonymous
2014-07-21T21:24:43+00:00 Try the clean boot again and look in the AutoRuns - Run (top frame when Everything tab
is selected).
If the program is supposed to respond when certain conditions exist then it will be hard to
detect.
And plugging the unit in may not have actually been the trigger. Try doing it several time
to see if it repeats. Use the computer a bit after unplugging before plugging back in (couple
of minutes).
Rob - SpiritX