My Windows 7 weather gadget on my desktop has changed color

Anonymous
2013-11-12T09:17:11+00:00

After installing Internet Explorer 11 via Windows Update, I restarted the computer and my weather gadget had turned pink and blurry. Did I do something wrong? Any help would be nice.

Jimmy

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-12T10:02:58+00:00

Some users say that gadgets work fine again when they change the DPI (Display Size Settings) to 100% Smaller Fonts. How you do that is described here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-30T18:16:58+00:00

    Hi!

    Here is a Fix for Gadget display issues after IE11 Installation on Windows 7:

    "

    Ghacks reader DrDivan55 found a way to resolve the issue for individual gadgets without having to modify the system's DPI setting in the process.

    1. Close the gadget you want to modify from the sidebar. No need to kill the whole sidebar process. Copy the original gadget.xml file to a temporary folder of your choice. Open it with notepad.
    2. Find & entirely delete the row containing the tag:

    (autoscaleDPI)(!--_locComment_text="{Locked}"--)true(/autoscaleDPI)

    Do not leave an empty row in the script, just delete the whole row that has that tag. Setting the tag to autoscale (e.g. (autoscaleDPI)true(/autoscaleDPI)) will not help unless someone wants to play around and modify the whole gadget script which includes modifying the other files in that folder. I will experiment with that when I have the time & if I succeed I will post a solution. 3. Use a program like Unlocker to rename the original file adding a ".bak" extension (e.g. gadget.xml.bak). Unlocker couldn't find the locking process for me, but asked what I wanted to do with the file, so I chose rename. Once you do that, Unlocker seems to unlock the whole folder. So it's easy to go to the next step now. 4. Move the modified file back to the original folder. If access is denied just use Unlocker again-this time to move the modified file. 5. Start the gadget you modified. It should display correctly now, but in a smaller size than the other gadgets that were not affected.

    Notes:

    If someone has custom language packs installed, don't forget to modify the XML file in the corresponding language folders."

    Source and more information: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/18/fix-gadget-display-issues-

    ie11-installation-windows-7/

    Cheers

    Julia

    No need to complicate things.

    1.  Just go to either "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets(gadget with issue)\en-US" or to "C:\Users%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets(gadget with issue)\en-US" [if you uninstalled/re-installed a gadget it will be here in the hidden AppData folder]

    2.  Right-click and edit gadget.xml.  Change "true" to "false" for the autoscaleDPI setting and save.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T18:48:38+00:00

    Andre.......even though your recent reply was aimed toward Erik, I still must compliment your so very true remark at Microsoft.

    About 11 months back I tried installing Windows 8 onto my desktop, and even though I purchased it at the Microsoft Store in Bloomington, MN (The Old Metropolitan Stadium or Mall Of America), it was NOT a registered or Genuine product............but Microsoft failed to tell me that the refund period for that "Product Key" was passed and I was denied any refund. I was told by telephone support at Microsoft to wait 30-60 days then try installing again......I was told by my sister that refund periods are typically 30 days from purchase. I go all the way back to Windows 3.1 in 1994 up to Windows 7 today. Is it me or do I no longer hear Microsoft using the terms "Windows 8/8.1" but it seems it has been replaced with "The New Windows"..........My Windows 3.1 probably works better than 8.1, anyway!!!!

    THANX And Have A Great Day !!!!!!!!

    ..............Jimmy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T11:00:12+00:00

    I reported to microsoft with this issue and since they discontinued gadgets in windows 8, they were not gonna fix this

    From which we can infer that they no longer properly support their current software running on Windows 7.

    Well since Windows 8 (and Office 2013 come to that, which I made the mistake of installing on my Win7 laptop) is such a dog's dinner, especially interface-wise, I can't see any further reasons to pay them for it and I'm sticking with older product on the rest of my computers. No wonder they are going down the pan compared to other type of OS and browser these days; they must see the same sort of stats that I see when I check my website's access logs, and I've never seen big a decline in usage stats for their products.

    Maybe they will learn their lesson with Windows 9 and will bring back more elements of the far superior desktop interface that they had finally got pretty much right in Windows 7 (and then completely wrecked in Windows 8, which is fine for tablets but terrible for larger-screen power users).

    Andre

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T02:34:55+00:00

    I reported to microsoft with this issue and since they discontinued gadgets in windows 8, they were not gonna fix this

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments