My Windows 7 weather gadget on my desktop has changed color

Anonymous
2013-11-12T09:17:11+00:00

After installing Internet Explorer 11 via Windows Update, I restarted the computer and my weather gadget had turned pink and blurry. Did I do something wrong? Any help would be nice.

Jimmy

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-12T10:02:58+00:00

Some users say that gadgets work fine again when they change the DPI (Display Size Settings) to 100% Smaller Fonts. How you do that is described here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T18:45:37+00:00

    I'm just like you, also, Mr. Spiffy.........I need the fonts larger, I can live without the weather gadget, except it's nice to know how cold it is here in Minnesota. Good Day & THANX!!..............

    ..............Jimmy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T12:13:29+00:00

    Some users say that gadgets work fine again when they change the DPI (Display Size Settings) to 100% Smaller Fonts. How you do that is described here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html

    This "works."  That is, moving my custom setting back down to 100% resolves the problem.  However, I need the larger size.  Whatever update that was made to the weather and clock gadgets wasn't propagated to the skins used in 125% or 150%.  So, after reboot, when I put it back to 125%, the problem returns (blurry "EGA-looking" colors on the weather gadget, and invisible clock gadget.  Hopefully someone at MSFT gets this bug on a release train in the near future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T07:23:32+00:00

    Well, I do remember that there were security-related concerns regarding gadgets already some time ago (maybe a year?) and that it was proposed at that time to refrain from using them. But - reading now that they are actually discontinued was new to me...

    I, too, would wish that Microsofts information politics would be clearer and easier to find and get at...

    Thanks for the feedback, Jimmy, and have a great day :)

    Julia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T00:14:12+00:00

    Julia.........I went and lowered my font size to 100%, and it brought back both gadgets, no pink involved! Then I raised it to 125%, both by customizing and clicking on the 125% check box and restarted and both times the weather gadget went back to pink and blurry font. I see in search engines all over that IE 11 has caused lots of big and little problems........I just deleted both gadgets, I can't believe that Microsoft took so long to tell the public that installing gadgets on desktop can be hazardous!! I mean it has taken MS since 2006 to figure out that gadgets, more specifically, online gadgets could be dangerous? Some **** sites are safer than some of those online gadget sites, so I've heard :)

    But thanks Julia !! Take the rest of the day off.

    Jimmy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments