Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-04T20:33:49+00:00

    The suggestion from Soulrebelno may have merit but when I tried it I found I had 22 processes running and I had no way of knowing which one was a problem.  Should 22 processes be running at the same time - and some of the duplicates???   I could not see any of the processes that I could put my finger on and say that is the one with a problem and I did not want to experiment by going one at a time to see if that corrected the problem because there is too much that could go wrong.   Does anyone have a clue as to what each of these processes does and which ones could possibly affect the screen saver?   Anyone with any clues or references that would help me would be appreciated.

    Dean V. Dannewitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-04T21:15:17+00:00

    The suggestion from Soulrebelno may have merit but when I tried it I found I had 22 processes running and I had no way of knowing which one was a problem.  Should 22 processes be running at the same time - and some of the duplicates???   I could not see any of the processes that I could put my finger on and say that is the one with a problem and I did not want to experiment by going one at a time to see if that corrected the problem because there is too much that could go wrong.   Does anyone have a clue as to what each of these processes does and which ones could possibly affect the screen saver?   Anyone with any clues or references that would help me would be appreciated.

    Dean V. Dannewitz

    Hi Dean,

    You will have lots of system processes running, and some duplicates, it's normal, my computer has them as well, but they are all running at 0% CPU. You want to find the background process or processes that are using your CPU when your computer is at idle. I found the best way is by clicking on the CPU column header in Resource Monitor, that will order the processes by CPU usage, the process that uses the most CPU is then at the top of the list, the order tends to bounce around a bit so close all unnecessary programs before you start.

    I found that PSVEngine.exe (OKI PrintSuperVision printer utility) was using 3% CPU usage at idle, it was incompatible with Windows 8.1 and just wouldn't shut down. Once I had uninstalled it and and rebooted it solved the problem.

    If anything is using the CPU in the background then your computer will not go into idle mode because it thinks you are still using it.

    Keep the faith!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-04T22:21:59+00:00

    Well, I finally found out what was causing my problem.  I am using a Logitech Solar Keyboard K750 and an app for that in order to check the battery power of the keyboard is to use "Solar app 1.10, from Logitech.

    I removed the app from the "Programs and features", and now my Screensaver works the way it is supposed to and it also goes to sleep.  I got to this point after following some instructions from HP and replaced my keyboard and mouse with the ones that came with the computer when it was bought.  

    Long time coming.  Obviously was not the fault of windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-05T04:07:06+00:00

    Hi,

    Glad to know you fixed the issue. Thank you for sharing the suggestion, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue. Please feel free to reply, in case if you need any further assistance or information on this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T15:43:20+00:00

    Hope this helps others,

    Tai

    Indeed it did! I've been banging my head against the wall for a month trying to figure this out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments