Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-14T15:47:52+00:00

    I have been following the issue with the screen savers and windows 8.1 I too, have problems.  The screen saver comes on, but there is no display.  The screen just goes blank,  I spent several hours on the phone with HP and they could not help me.  I can set up the screen saver and I get a Preview, but when  the screen saver comes on all I get is a blank screen.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Dietmar

    ******@bellsouth.net

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-14T17:32:37+00:00

    I had this issue as well. After doing some research I used the "powercfg" command to troubleshoot it successfully.

    You'll need to run the command prompt as administrator and type "powercfg -requests" to see what processes might be active. In my case, under "DISPLAY" my web browser chrome.exe showed up as the culprit.

    To override that executable from keeping the system awake, I entered the command "powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS chrome.exe DISPLAY" (replace chrome.exe with whatever the application happens to be in your case). To check that the override rule was entered successfully you can type "powercfg -requestsoverride" and in my case chrome.exe showed up under the "[process]" section.

    I also had a related problem where my computer would wake back up right after I manually set it to sleep. Using "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" I saw that my network adapter was one of the devices that could wake my computer (in addition to my mouse and keyboard) so I disabled that in the Power Management tab under device name in Device Manager.

    Hope this helps others,

    Tai

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T02:10:59+00:00

    Thanks Tai,

    I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.  The computer seems to be asleep or rather the display is turned off.  But instead of the screensaver I get a blank (black) screen and it stays that way until I wake the computer up.

    I would like to try your "powercfg" command, but I don't know how or where to use it.

    Thanks,

    Dietmar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T02:31:47+00:00

    Thanks for sharing!

    Signature: <removed>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-19T08:30:26+00:00

    Hi KhoSan,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Were you able to resolve the issue? If you need any further assistance or information on this issue, reply back to this post. I will be glad to help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments