Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-10T08:59:10+00:00

    Hi Dean,

    As a work around, create a new user account and check the issue status in the new user account. This might help us to analyze the issue.

    Create a user account.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-7

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T21:11:58+00:00

    I bought a new HP pavilion 15in laptop (I5 processor) a short while ago in January 2014 which came with windows 8.0.

    I have updated to 8.1 and everything works (i think) except the screen saver.

    From memory the screen saver came on when i had windows but no luck so far with windows 8.1.

    I have played around with the screen saver times and brought it down to 2 minutes but nothing has

    done the trick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T22:09:42+00:00

    JoJo:   To my knowledge, the problem that you are experiencing which is very similar to the problem I reported on several months ago has not been satisfactorily solved.    At least I have been unable to successfully use any of the suggested solutions given nor some that I have tried by myself.   Nor have I been able to get any assistance from Microsoft so called experts.   I suspect that the problem is unique to many isolated instances which seem not to have any similarities as to what may be the cause.  If you check back on the history of this thread you will see what I mean.  I have taken the position that when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I should have gotten something that worked in all instances so why is not Microsoft not solving the problem?    I realize using the ScreenSaver is not critical to any other operations, but since it is supposed to be there, it should be working.   

     I have stopped wasting my time trying to solve this problem, but it does not make me happy.  I started out with a new computer which came with Windows 8.0 installed, but even that did not work.  Reinstallation of the operating system also did not work as it was supposed to.  After a long time I had to exchange my new computer for yet another new one with Windows 8.0 installed.  The good news is that this one worked well until I ran into this problem with the ScreenSaver   I have keep it updated completely, but the problem has not been solved.   I guess we can only hope that the new version which is supposed to be released in April will solve this problem.  But I have my doubts.

    Dean

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-09T04:36:42+00:00

    Hello,

    I have a 'Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13' computer with Windows 8.  Windows automatically updated on me a few days ago and my screen saver hasn't turned on since.  I have gone into the "turn screensaver on and off" function in the control panel and the screen saver is set to come on after one minute.  It never comes on!  Before Windows 8 updated it worked just find.  I will admit, I have loved Windows 8 up until this last update; now I am not too sure.

    Help!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-10T02:41:47+00:00

    Hi Scott,

    For a better understanding of the Screen Saver issue, let me know what is the Knowledge Base Article number of the Windows Update that was installed recently?

    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons.

    1. Damaged Screen Saver settings.
    2. Due to conflict between third party applications.

    Try the steps listed here and check if it helps.

    Method 1:

    I would suggest you to set a different Screen Saver and check if it works.

    How to use screen savers

    Method 2:

    If the issue persists, I would suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.  Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

    How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 

    Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments