Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-27T08:13:59+00:00

    Hi Heasma,

    Try the steps listed here and check if it helps.

    Method 1:

    Let’s run the power troubleshooter and check if that helps. 

    a. Press ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

    b. In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooting’ and press Enter.

    c. Click on ‘System and Security’ and click on ‘Power’ click on next to run the troubleshooter.

    **Method 2:**If the issue persists, I would suggest you to restore the power plans to default and check if it helps.

    Step 1: Reset and restore the power plans to default:

    1. Right-click on Start buttonand click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemesand hit Enter.
    3. Exit command prompt.

    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

    Step 2: Once the power plan is reset to default, you may create a new power plan and customize the same according to your needs.

    Refer to the link:Power plans: Frequently asked questions ****

    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-20T02:40:19+00:00

    Hi KhoSan,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Were you able to resolve the issue? If you need any further assistance or information on this issue, reply back to this post. I will be glad to help you.

    Are you able to help others that are having trouble as well.  I haven't been able to get screensaver to work at about the same time as my computer won't go to sleep on it own.  That goes back to when everything was updated from windows 8.0 to 8.1.  Hopefully sooner or later this is going to get fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-19T08:30:26+00:00

    Hi KhoSan,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Were you able to resolve the issue? If you need any further assistance or information on this issue, reply back to this post. I will be glad to help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T02:31:47+00:00

    Thanks for sharing!

    Signature: <removed>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T02:10:59+00:00

    Thanks Tai,

    I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.  The computer seems to be asleep or rather the display is turned off.  But instead of the screensaver I get a blank (black) screen and it stays that way until I wake the computer up.

    I would like to try your "powercfg" command, but I don't know how or where to use it.

    Thanks,

    Dietmar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments