Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T16:59:31+00:00

    Dean,

    Essentially what is happening is that when you run the command:

    powercfg -requests

    whatever shows up in the [DISPLAY] section of that output is the culprit.

    What Tai is suggesting is that you take whatever that process is and override it with the following:

    powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS <insert offending process> DISPLAY

    This should release whatever lock that process has on the display and will allow the screensaver and whatever screen-based system actions to take place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T16:48:18+00:00

    In response to Tai"s reply, could you tell us more of the detail of what you did to eliminate the problem?  I think we are on to something in general - that some program or process is running which prevents the Screen saver from activating - but I have yet to pin down which one or ones are doing it.  And I have had a small success with the process but it still is not consistent, which probably means that one or more program or process is to blame at any one time.  It present I have over 22 separate programs or processes running in the background at any one time.  There are usually only one or two that are using up CPU time at any one time but because any of them can be activated at any time I would have to disable every one of them to get my Screen Saver to work consistently.  Some programs like my virus protection cannot not be disabled or I would be in big trouble, so if that is the culprit I cannot fix it.  And there are other suspicious functions running behind the scene when they need to run, so turning them off seems to be counterproductive.

    I would like some thoughts on this. 

    Dean V. Dannewitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T15:43:20+00:00

    Hope this helps others,

    Tai

    Indeed it did! I've been banging my head against the wall for a month trying to figure this out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-05T04:07:06+00:00

    Hi,

    Glad to know you fixed the issue. Thank you for sharing the suggestion, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue. Please feel free to reply, in case if you need any further assistance or information on this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-04T22:21:59+00:00

    Well, I finally found out what was causing my problem.  I am using a Logitech Solar Keyboard K750 and an app for that in order to check the battery power of the keyboard is to use "Solar app 1.10, from Logitech.

    I removed the app from the "Programs and features", and now my Screensaver works the way it is supposed to and it also goes to sleep.  I got to this point after following some instructions from HP and replaced my keyboard and mouse with the ones that came with the computer when it was bought.  

    Long time coming.  Obviously was not the fault of windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments