Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-06T01:45:01+00:00

    Dean,

    I do not like to bang my head against a brickwall. But my final solution was to go into advanced power options for my power plan and disable the USB Selective Suspend Setting. This allows my screensaver to turn on after my 5 minute setting.

    I'm not saying that this is an all in one solution, but in my case it worked.

    Good luck to anyone else reading this and trying to find a possible solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-05T16:33:52+00:00

    Mark:  I have hesitated for a long time to send this, but I am sure that by now you realize there is NO solution to this problem and it has NOTHING to do with your Mouse installation or drivers or whatever anymore than checking to see if the sun is shining or it is raining outside when this happens.  Microsoft has to know why this is happening and that it is not solvable but they are not telling us all the facts that they must be aware of.  In my case I have tried everything that anyone has come up with in this forum and none of them work.  On the other hand, there are a few times that I have come back to my computer and by some miracle the screen saver is on and working!!!!!  I have tried to pin down what was running at that time, but just trying to find the cause made the screen saver go off and I could not get it back again.

    So, I think we all have to sit back and recognize that we are NOT going to be successful beating our heads against a brick wall.  It is sort of like if you don't like the way the electric power comes to your house you should change power companies only to find out that the one you are using has a monopoly franchise for your area.   Just the way that the Microsoft monitors to this forum respond to our comments are a clue to how much importance is given to these forums.   They just push a button to the closest canned response that may cover something and that is what you get-     nothing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-06T01:11:36+00:00

    I spoke too soon as the issue has come back to rear its ugly head. With the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard software/drivers uninstalled I am having the same issue with the screensaver not working if set higher than 1 minute. This is the case with the Microsoft Mouse and keyboard detection driver in the USB, but using the HID compliant mouse driver. If I remove the USB receiver the screen saver works if set to 5 minutes.

    As a test I set the Arc mouse up on a Windows 7 laptop. It worked fine if set it to 5 minutes for the screensaver to turn on. Even with the full feature software and driver.

    I'm at a loss now and will resign the fact that If I want a longer screensaver time out than 1 minute I will not be able to use the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse.

    If there is an official Microsoft moderator listening it is suggested that this be taken up for development and testing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-05T20:17:11+00:00

    Hi Mark,

    Thank you for sharing information here, this might help others if they come across same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-04T14:27:26+00:00

    Having read all the posts on this I think I will give upon this!

    I have a brand new computer with 8.1pre-installed and, other than Microsoft Office, have very little third party application installed - printers etc and my screensaver won't work and never has!

    Another triumph for Microsoft!

    I experienced the issues with the  screensaver on my Yoga 2 Pro, Win 8.1 X64 . If I set the screensaver to 1 minute it worked.  I even adjusted the power options to never sleep and never turn off the display. No matter what I did if I set the screensaver to greater than 1 minute it would not go to screensaver. I read the threads and thought of what I may have installed, software, applications and hardware wise. I recently purchased the Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse that goes through one of the USB ports. I installed the software and drivers for it. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center (2.3.188.0) for the software and Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (Mouse and Keyboard Center) as the driver (9.5.172.0). If the MS Arc Touch is plugged in to the USB  the screensaver does not work past the 1 minute setting. If I remove the MS Arc Touch USB wireless connection I can set the screensaver greater than 1 minute.  So it appears Microsoft has broken the screensaver with the Arc Touch Mouse software/driver. I'm going to uninstall the software and driver to see if that matters and just go with a generic mouse driver. If that does not fix the issue than time to move on and not have a screensaver that turns on past 1 minute.

    Appears to be the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse and its software/drivers. I uninstalled and used the generic mouse driver, waited 5 minutes and the screensaver came on.

    Not sure if this will help anyone, but now I know what the root cause of my screensaver issue was caused by.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments