Screensaver not working in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-01-02T00:47:42+00:00

Since upgrading (?) from Windows 8 to 8.1 the usual screensaver does not come on at all.  I have tried everything I can think of and what suggestions I can get from whatever source to solve this problem, but have failed.  Does anyone know of a conflict that could be causing this problem.  Prior to the upgrade the screensaver was coming on as scheduled and I was able to change the view to whatever I wanted to.  Now there is no setting or combination of adjustments that work.  I would like to start a thread on this problem to see if anyone else has had this problem and was it solvable or is there any hope.  Yes, I have Googled the problem already and tried the suggestions there, but I am willing to try anything that anyone can think of.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-27T18:16:17+00:00

    Hi Dean

    I'm jumping into this situation because for the last few days my screensaver is also not working.

    I updated to windows 8.1 about 10 months ago and my saver was working fine until just recently.

    Now I get a blank blue screen and can't get the computer out of it unless I hit the restart button my tower. I tried calling up the screensaver menu but it won't allow me make any changes and it just sits there with the little circle going around and around!

    There must have been an update from Microsoft within the last few weeks that caused this.

    I'd be very happy just to turn the darn screensaver OFF but seems I'm unable to do this.

    Let's all scream very loud at Microsoft - you would think they'd at least acknowledge this BIG problem and help the customers who rely on them. But there you go - that's what happens when you have a monopoly on the market.

    Marlene

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-31T02:38:55+00:00

    HI luchuc.  Well here is what I found out.  I was dealing with Logitech over this issue with the solar app not working along with the Screen Saver.  They had me go through a bunch of trial and error stuff and the last one was to load the three programs onto my Laptop, (Dell) using the Logitech Keyboard and mouse to see if the same problem occurred, and it didn't.

    So after this happened they considered the issue resolved as it worked ok on one system but not with the HP all In one Computer.  The result was that the issue had to be with HP, not with Logitech.  To work on this with HP seemed to me to be a waste of time, so I don't use the Solar app at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-30T06:47:48+00:00

    Awesome!  I've been having the same problem and I have the same keyboard.  I'm not sure if my problem started once I connected the keyboard, but all I know is that initially, I had no problem with the screen saver nor the computer sleeping and then later I did.  My problem seemed more sporadic though.

    Sometimes is would work, but then after I would manually put the computer to sleep, the whole screen saver business would stop.  It only seemed to work after I completely shut down then restarted the computer.  However again, once I 'sleep'ed the computer screen saver stopped.

    Question though, did you ever reconnect the Logitech?  I'd still like to use mine in addition to my wired one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-22T19:54:37+00:00

    I fully agree with Caesar259 statement.   It is not only this problem, but it seems that Microsoft wants to dictate what we can put on our computers and how we function.  This is what a monopoly does when you allow it.   Another example is that you cannot run a DVD with Windows 8.1 because Microsoft has decided that we should all have separate devices to run their programs on and since those devises do NOT have a DVD player attached they just changed the world for us and all the DVD's and CD's that we have spent hours setting up cannot be played on a desktop computer.  That way they sell more individual devices and all the apps and software that has been written for these devices and the IPhones, etc. 

    We have one solution -----  we can all delete all Windows products and go to one of the SEVERAL replacement programs that are available.  Be the first in line.   And in the process be sure to also notify your electric utility to shut off your power because you are moving to a competitive source.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-22T11:38:22+00:00

    SCREENSAVER STOPPED WORKING AFTER 8.1 UPDATE

    STRANGE I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON THIS HAPPENED TO

    Ever since I updated to Windows 8.1 my screensaver stopped working .... I kept going to the UPDATES TO SEE IF THERE WAS A HOT FIX ... 3 years later STILL NOTHING

    Its not only you ... OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM ... You would think with the MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of Customers they would have RESOLVED this Problem by now .... Going from page to page is like sitting on HOLD WHEN YOU CALL THEM .... NONE OF THEM KNOW WHAT TO DO OR THEY DON'T HAVE AUTHORIZATION TO HELP YOU .... So you go crazy looking for the Fix while it DAMAGES EVERYONE'S MACHINES .... IF MY SCREEN AND MOTHERBOARD FRIES WILL THEY BUY ME A NEW MACHINE ... I didn't think so I would appreciate it if you posted a HotFix or something to repair the problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments