MS forced install to Windows 8.1 after I click on Remind me later.

Anonymous
2014-09-06T19:16:04+00:00

* Original Title: MS Hijacked my computer & forced install to 8.1

I know there are other posts about that blue ribbon that asks if you want to install 8.1 - OR - rudely interrupts at inconvenient times (like during client presentations) and forces a restart (to update) without any way to postpone it. 

BUT - JUST NOW ... a blue ribbon popped up about a restart (this one looked like it had a postponement drop down) and no option to cancel. I thought I had requested a postponement but INSTEAD IT STARTED AN UPGRADE TO 8.1 WITHOUT MY APPROVAL ... WORSE ... no ability to interrupt, no ability to close open apps, no ability to do a backup first. Right now it's doing setup (about 82% complete.

I work independently, cannot afford downtime. 

IF I have to pay to have my laptop fixed I want Microsoft to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But I will defintely drop back to Windows 7 or buy a MAC.

HELP, PLEASE!!!  (and thank you!!!)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. btbt 11,841 Reputation points
    2014-10-28T01:35:29+00:00

    Install compatible Windows 8.1 drivers or try a clean install of Windows 8.1 Windows 8 is unsupported and should no longer be used.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-28T01:26:21+00:00

    Hi Jenna, 

    Thank you for your response.

    I can understand the inconvenience caused to you.

    I would have you install the latest version of network card drivers from the manufacturer's website and see if it fixes the issue.

    Note: Make sure you install Windows 8.1 compatible drivers. It is also recommended to update the device drivers after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

    For more information, refer to the link.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

    >>>>>Hope it helps. If you want to go back to Windows 8, please do let me know. I will definitely help you.<<<<< 

    I really, REALLY, want to go back to windows 8. Please help me by posting the correct method here so that I, and all these other unhappy customers can get on with our work/play/lives...

    Thanks...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-26T05:02:01+00:00

    Here Khat this window's 8 thread explains the process better-

    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/37808-update-windows-8-1-store-prompt-enable-disable.html

    Five weeks after my forced update from W8 to Win8.1....and I'm hating it. IE11 is giving me problems with Zoom, plus my native screen resolution of 1980X1080 does not read as well with W 8.1, for instance my Bing bar is stretched-much longer and thinner than when I had !E10. The font is not as good as W8. And, yes, my graphic card drivers are win 8.1 compatible, installed correctly, and up to date.

    This week, many people are gonna suffer with this, The good thing was, it dint ruin while I was giving a presentation but its just killing me. It installed without a remind me later option and suddenly popped out stating 14 minutes left. 

    100% disk usage , how the hell should I stop it. I couldn't mail my presentation now and I will be in tatters as the due time is up. And no one responds at  the chat desk. The hell is wrong here? Windows 7 was the best.

    MS is going down in future

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-26T04:21:45+00:00

    I wish I knew Melinda:(

    A friend told me to go into the registry settings and kill the update..that didn't work.

    HP Tech Support told me to uninstall MS Updates..again, that didn't work.

    This whole thing is bs. I never liked Windows 8, but had no choice but to get used to it..and just as I'm starting to MS comes along, GOES AGAINST MY WISHES, and upgrades MY PC, without MY PERMISSION!! Who do they think they are anyway?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-25T06:18:15+00:00

    This has been happening to me.  I know that if I allow the update I will lost my Office 365 and Norton antivirus, ok, If I don't lost them I have to re-install them.  I do not want to do it.  So when it took control of my computer and began the upgrade without my authorization, I took off the battery and disconnected my laptop.  Then I turned on my laptop again and again took control of my laptop and began the upgrade, Again I disconnected my laptop.  I did this 3-4 times.  Then I worked offline for a while.  This happened to me yesterday, today I turned on my laptop and it hasn't bothered me.

    I don't want the upgrade!! How can I avoid it?    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments