MS forced install to Windows 8.1 after I click on Remind me later.

Anonymous
2014-09-06T19:16:04+00:00

* Original Title: MS Hijacked my computer & forced install to 8.1

I know there are other posts about that blue ribbon that asks if you want to install 8.1 - OR - rudely interrupts at inconvenient times (like during client presentations) and forces a restart (to update) without any way to postpone it. 

BUT - JUST NOW ... a blue ribbon popped up about a restart (this one looked like it had a postponement drop down) and no option to cancel. I thought I had requested a postponement but INSTEAD IT STARTED AN UPGRADE TO 8.1 WITHOUT MY APPROVAL ... WORSE ... no ability to interrupt, no ability to close open apps, no ability to do a backup first. Right now it's doing setup (about 82% complete.

I work independently, cannot afford downtime. 

IF I have to pay to have my laptop fixed I want Microsoft to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But I will defintely drop back to Windows 7 or buy a MAC.

HELP, PLEASE!!!  (and thank you!!!)

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-26T15:50:51+00:00

    return to windows 8 would be fine,8.1 wreaks havoc with my alienware aurora and its browser even in  a lower ie mode is incompatible with  every online game I enjoy. I did not  want 8.1  tried to avoid 8.1  and it was popping up  multiple times for 2 days, suddenly its downloading without my permission...

    I would very much  like to give msoft 1 last chance ( before  your forced on me o/s is met with my switching to  a liinux based o/s.  my email is ******@hotmail.com  pls  tell me  good sir how to revert back to windows8 and hopefully not losing 69+ gb of  business and personal data as well as a  multiple software pgms i use *inluding adaptive softwares....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-23T22:14:53+00:00

    Go back to windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-23T22:10:46+00:00

    This forced upgrade KILLED my asus computer. Amazon gave me a partial refund and I purchased a new Dell. I had to take the drive out of my Asus and retrieve my files and data.   I keep all of my stuff in a folder on my C drive  and I can get it with a usb  drive case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-31T23:09:03+00:00

    This is definitely not true.

    Microsoft is forcing users to make this update.

    Unfortunately I have a lenovo yoga13 that does not accept the 8.1 and i am forced to restore the system.

    this is very annoying.

    I am extremely disappointed with both companies: lenovo and microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-22T22:29:32+00:00

    This just happened to me yesterday. Futher more after it got 8.1 installed it had an error of C:\windows\system32\LogitDA.dll not found.

    I dont have a Logitech mouse and while having it go into a restart it Died. I cant get the computer to turn on at all. I tried a known good drive, still wont start. I put the drive into a usb case and connected it to my other computer and all the programs and file are there. I copied everything to a new directory to save my data. But the original computer is now dead. What happened to 8.1, I just ruined my computer because of a 8.1 push.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments