Web camera not detected, imaging devices missing in device manager and webcam not working

Anonymous
2014-09-16T14:48:31+00:00

*Original Title: imaging devices missing in device manager and webcam not working

imaging devices missing in device manager and webcam not working  HI,      Iam using DELL INSPIRON 15R 5520, windows 8.1 64 bit.      Last day when i clicked on the camera tile it said 'to get started, connect a camera' and i found out that none of my apps and desktop applications could     use the webcam.Each time i get an error massage saying camera not detected.My webcam used to work perfectly till then.          And the 'imaging devices' entry is missing in device manager.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-17T10:21:35+00:00

Hello Prudhvi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know you are facing inconvenience with the web camera not working on the computer. I can understand how frustrating it could be when computer and connected devices don't work as expected.

This issue could be because of the driver for the device is corrupt or needs to be updates.

Please help me with the following information:

  1. What is the make and model of the web camera?
  2. Have you made any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  3. Do you get any error code, if so what is the exact error code?

4. Do you see a yellow exclamation mark in device manager for camera device in device manager?

5. Is the web cam integrated with computer or are you using an external web cam?

6. If you are using external webcam, what is the make and model of the webcam?

Method 1: Try running the Hardware and devices troubleshooter by following steps below:

1. Press “Windows Key + R”, type Control Panel.

2. Then type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

  1. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
  2. Select “Hardware and Devices”.

Camera app and webcams help

Refer (If you have problems with your webcam)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/camera-app-faq

If you are using a internal webcam, run the Diagnostics for Webcam Issues

Webcam Diagnostics

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/w/laptop/3557.webcam-diagnostics

Also refer to the article:

Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/SLN85507/EN#Troubleshooting-Webcam-Issues

Method 2:

Step 1: I suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer website and install the latest webcam drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5520/drivers

Steps 2: If webcam drivers are not available for Windows 8.1, you can install download Windows 7 driver and install it in compatibility mode. Refer to the help link to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Hope this information helps, please reply with the status of the issue and the required information for any further assistance.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-23T08:19:16+00:00

    Hello Grace,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue and apology for the delayed response.

    However, before we proceed I would require some more information to assist you better.

    What is the make and model of the computer?

    I would also request you to please provide the screenshots for the issue that you are facing in Windows 8.

    Refer the link for How to include a screenshot in your post.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows\_other-windows\_programs/how-to-include-a-screenshot-in-your-post/2594b08e-32a3-476a-85a6-b021181be7e4

    Please reply with the required information, in order to help you fix the issue.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-02T22:56:23+00:00

    I'm having the exact same issue as above, except I have an HP, not Dell--so obviously it's a Windows problem... I have (had?) a webcam in my laptop (HP TrueVision HD) that was working just fine, but as soon as I installed updates, it disappeared. My computer doesn't even recognize that it ever existed. I cannot find it in the Devices, Control Panel, Program Files, list of Drivers... NOTHING. It just... disappeared. So all those instructions posted above are no help at all, because the things I'm supposed to click or search for--they simply don't exist! Please tell me how to get my computer to find the webcam software again. This is extremely frustrating (especially when trying to Skype family living far away!).

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-22T10:10:24+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue and apology for the delayed response.

    I would suggest you to run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter by following steps below:

    a) Press Windows key + W on your keyboard.

    b) Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting.

    c) Click on View All.

    d) Click on Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

    e) Click on Next button to run the troubleshooter.

    Hope this information helps.

    Please reply with the troubleshooter report, in order to help you fix the issue.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-17T01:50:51+00:00

    I'm having webcam issues. I have an integrated webcam for the Dell 

    Inspiron 15 (3521, Late 2012)

    It used to work, but since updating to Windows 8.1, it doesn't work. I don't know which driver to install, since it says I have all of them. The BIGGEST issue is that the group Imaging devices is NOT there in the list of devices at all, so I can't even right click on it to try to update it that way. I have gone through the list of video drivers on the Dell site, but none of them seem to be what I need for the webcam.

    Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver

    AMD Radeon HD 7670M/8730M Driver

    AMD Radeon HD 7670M/8730M Driver

    When I tried to install them, one of them gave me an error, another said I had a newer version already install. I just closed out of the other one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments