Sony VAIO laptop upgrade to Windows 8.1 brightness problem SOLVED!!!

Anonymous
2013-10-22T16:48:25+00:00

Just sharing the solution to this.  Recently I have been searching all posts, forums, and questions/answers on the net.  But I have not been able to solve the problem of screen brightness adjustability on my VAIO laptop.  Some minutes ago, I updated all my drivers (Intel) on the official sony website, which is available to all sony users.  The problem still persisted.

What really solved the problem is that the NVIDIA graphics was outdated.  I have a GT740M, and updated it to 8.11.18.1146 and rebooted.  The update is available in VAIO Update (desktop).  Now my screen brightness can be adjusted, as I normally did, with the Fn Key!

Hope this helps other VAIO users.  Good Luck!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-12T01:29:21+00:00

    I think it has something to do with the Rapid Wake function.  Tried disabling it and everything seems to work fine.  let's see in a couple of days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T04:54:49+00:00

    I tried this and it worked for me. thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-20T21:42:44+00:00

    Hello all,

    I would like to share my experience with the upgrade. I am on a Sony Vaio E-series and I tried

    1. Updating graphics driver
    2. Disabling graphics driver
    3. Disabling adaptive brightness.

    All 3 failed for me. I had to downgrade my Intel HD 4000 graphics adapter which was the root cause of this issue!

    I used the one on this site: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVE14122CXB&upd_id=8517&os_group_id=24

    Hope this helps to anyone who has exhausted all other options!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T00:41:37+00:00

    How can I revert to Windows 8?

    I experience the same problem where when I change the brightness of my screen, after a few random seconds it goes back to the previous setting (in my case very low) which I think was the brightness level in force when the Windows 8.1 update ran.

    I looked into forums for hours and none of the tips (running all updates, updating drivers, disabling auto-brightness) can solve my problem.

    Now this is as serious waste of time for having naively installed Windows 8.1, which does nothing more for me than the previous version. When you think of all the work that went into the update, and realize that one of the most basic functions of a computer

    • being able to see what's on your screen - was not considered - it's outrageous. And the fact that Microsoft, Sony and the drivers' manufacturers all throw the blame at each other is freaking me out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-24T14:25:26+00:00

    I fix my laptop brightness problem.... thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments