Sony VAIO laptop upgrade to Windows 8.1 brightness problem SOLVED!!!

Anonymous
2013-10-22T16:48:25+00:00

Just sharing the solution to this.  Recently I have been searching all posts, forums, and questions/answers on the net.  But I have not been able to solve the problem of screen brightness adjustability on my VAIO laptop.  Some minutes ago, I updated all my drivers (Intel) on the official sony website, which is available to all sony users.  The problem still persisted.

What really solved the problem is that the NVIDIA graphics was outdated.  I have a GT740M, and updated it to 8.11.18.1146 and rebooted.  The update is available in VAIO Update (desktop).  Now my screen brightness can be adjusted, as I normally did, with the Fn Key!

Hope this helps other VAIO users.  Good Luck!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-06T07:31:43+00:00

    Unfortunately this happend after i did all the official updates. As for graphics driver, i've always downloaded from VAIO rather than AMD, because of the heavy customization Sony did to the hardware, it usally only works if is their own driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-06T15:55:32+00:00

    Unfortunately this happend after i did all the official updates. As for graphics driver, i've always downloaded from VAIO rather than AMD, because of the heavy customization Sony did to the hardware, it usally only works if is their own driver.

    I can understand your problem, but have you tried to search for newer updates after that, or tried re-installing them? Additionally, you may also try to repair and run some setups available in the Vaio Care (desktop mode), it might help.

    Maybe it would also be wise (if really urgent) to restore your system to an earlier point, so as to omit those updates.  But be sure to back up all your important files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T07:30:32+00:00

    There are no newer updates. and i'm not sure how to re-install them. Thanks for your advice. But to be honest. I believe it's the driver's problem so i don't think Vaio Care can help anything. After i updated to Windows8.1 i ran Vaio Update straight away. I started to have a problem where you can hear the sound but no image for playing videos. I've had this happend before on Win8 when i messed up the update order that was posted on VAIO website. So i know this is to do with graphics driver. Since there are no further updates on VAIO Update, i went to their homepage and found this AMD driver update. I tried it, and it works but then it brings me this auto-brightness problem .

    I hate the fact that owing a PC or a VAIO laptop, i need to be aware of all this side instructions to follow on top of simply pressing the update button. I used to think that if i followed these then it would be okay. but now since the Win8.1 VAIO has let me down on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T08:44:15+00:00

    I just wound mine back to Windows 8.0 and turned off automatic updates and everything works just fine. 

    I'll install updates gradually and hopefully either figure out what caused the problem or won't have the problem again.  Keep you posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T11:20:08+00:00

    I have the same problem in controlling the brightness of my Sony VAIO laptop after upgrading to Windows 8.1. At first,  I tried disabling the Adaptive Brightness setting in all the power plans in control panel but the full brightness settings keep coming back. Finally,  I was able to fix this problem after reading your suggestion  of turning-off the  Display Brightness settings from the Image Quality in the VAIO Control Center.  Thanks so much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments