Sony VAIO laptop upgrade to Windows 8.1 brightness problem SOLVED!!!

Anonymous
2013-10-22T16:48:25+00:00

Just sharing the solution to this.  Recently I have been searching all posts, forums, and questions/answers on the net.  But I have not been able to solve the problem of screen brightness adjustability on my VAIO laptop.  Some minutes ago, I updated all my drivers (Intel) on the official sony website, which is available to all sony users.  The problem still persisted.

What really solved the problem is that the NVIDIA graphics was outdated.  I have a GT740M, and updated it to 8.11.18.1146 and rebooted.  The update is available in VAIO Update (desktop).  Now my screen brightness can be adjusted, as I normally did, with the Fn Key!

Hope this helps other VAIO users.  Good Luck!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T22:20:32+00:00

    Your're welcome, what i meant by turn off the auto brightness was the setting in Vaio Control Center. I'm not sure if you still got that software. I didn't know theres such setting in the power plan which hinted me with a better solution for this problem. There might have been a clash.

    So what i did just now was i turned off the auto-brightness in all my power plan settings and turned on in Vaio Control Center. So far it seems to work pretty well without any privious incident happening.

    Give it a go if you still have Vaio Control Center.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T07:36:39+00:00

    Did this work?  have the same problem, and this doesn't fix it for me.  my GF is getting mad sic I use the vaio in bed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T09:42:33+00:00

    Did this work?  have the same problem, and this doesn't fix it for me.  my GF is getting mad sic I use the vaio in bed.

    Nah, didn't work... worked for a while but restarted and back to square one.

    Even went in and disabled the auto brightness through WINDOWS KEY+R>services.msc>Sensor Monitoring Services>Disable and it STILL won't stay dim.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T15:49:25+00:00

    Actually the second method failed, i disabled them both now. It works for me without the auto brightness. I guess you guys have to turn it off in the Vaio Control Centre.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T17:30:07+00:00

    Firstly (and most importantly) : update everything you can...   Install all windows updates and then go to VAIO update and install all updates available, there are always some minor updates available in the control center that might fix your problem even it might not seem to be!

    Secondly : depending on your country/region of purchase of your laptop, check the online support website for messages and software updates.  These updates might be available ONLY in the official website and not through Vaio update software.

    Trying to fix system settings are not likely to help at all, I tried many many ways and finally for me, the NVIDIA driver seemed to be the source of the problem (it was outdated).  It might be another problem for you, and there is no need to change your power settings - they work best when allowed to operate in default mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments