Sony VAIO laptop upgrade to Windows 8.1 brightness problem SOLVED!!!

Anonymous
2013-10-22T16:48:25+00:00

Just sharing the solution to this.  Recently I have been searching all posts, forums, and questions/answers on the net.  But I have not been able to solve the problem of screen brightness adjustability on my VAIO laptop.  Some minutes ago, I updated all my drivers (Intel) on the official sony website, which is available to all sony users.  The problem still persisted.

What really solved the problem is that the NVIDIA graphics was outdated.  I have a GT740M, and updated it to 8.11.18.1146 and rebooted.  The update is available in VAIO Update (desktop).  Now my screen brightness can be adjusted, as I normally did, with the Fn Key!

Hope this helps other VAIO users.  Good Luck!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T07:36:39+00:00

    Did this work?  have the same problem, and this doesn't fix it for me.  my GF is getting mad sic I use the vaio in bed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T22:20:32+00:00

    Your're welcome, what i meant by turn off the auto brightness was the setting in Vaio Control Center. I'm not sure if you still got that software. I didn't know theres such setting in the power plan which hinted me with a better solution for this problem. There might have been a clash.

    So what i did just now was i turned off the auto-brightness in all my power plan settings and turned on in Vaio Control Center. So far it seems to work pretty well without any privious incident happening.

    Give it a go if you still have Vaio Control Center.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T20:11:35+00:00

    try to turn off the auto brightness see if that helps. I have the same problem but the opposite.

    Thanks!! After spending an hour going through all the display options looking for something that might have resembled auto brightness, I gave up hope that it existed and came here. I guess I should have looked harder... Should be more straightforward to find than that I feel.

    Select Power Plan>Balanced>Change advanced power settings>Display>Enable Adaptive Brightness

    Then repeat for each of your power plans.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T13:04:08+00:00

    try to turn off the auto brightness see if that helps. I have the same problem but the opposite.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T10:46:44+00:00

    My screen brightness keeps reverting to full, regardless of which lot of settings I use to change it, 5 minutes later it will be back at full brightness.

    I've use Fn+F5 and through the power settings, but same result every time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments