Sony VAIO laptop upgrade to Windows 8.1 brightness problem SOLVED!!!

Anonymous
2013-10-22T16:48:25+00:00

Just sharing the solution to this.  Recently I have been searching all posts, forums, and questions/answers on the net.  But I have not been able to solve the problem of screen brightness adjustability on my VAIO laptop.  Some minutes ago, I updated all my drivers (Intel) on the official sony website, which is available to all sony users.  The problem still persisted.

What really solved the problem is that the NVIDIA graphics was outdated.  I have a GT740M, and updated it to 8.11.18.1146 and rebooted.  The update is available in VAIO Update (desktop).  Now my screen brightness can be adjusted, as I normally did, with the Fn Key!

Hope this helps other VAIO users.  Good Luck!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T08:00:22+00:00

    did you try to do run Vaio Update before you upgrade to Win 8.1?

    it's something that Sony laptops must do.

    I hate that, because Microsoft is like HEY! why don't you upgrade to this for free!? anyone can!

    Yet Sony is like, WOW now, hold on, don't forget to run Vaio Update otherwise you will face some hardware problem.

    It's not that hard if Sony informed Microsoft about it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T02:51:13+00:00

    I have a Sony Pro13.

    With the upgrade to Windows 8.1, I can't even use the Fn F5/F6 to adjust the brightness anymore. And the screen flicker is even worse than before!

    Have been trying to do system restore to Windows 8 but to no avail.

    Who can help pls?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments