Sony VAIO laptop upgrade to Windows 8.1 brightness problem SOLVED!!!

Anonymous
2013-10-22T16:48:25+00:00

Just sharing the solution to this.  Recently I have been searching all posts, forums, and questions/answers on the net.  But I have not been able to solve the problem of screen brightness adjustability on my VAIO laptop.  Some minutes ago, I updated all my drivers (Intel) on the official sony website, which is available to all sony users.  The problem still persisted.

What really solved the problem is that the NVIDIA graphics was outdated.  I have a GT740M, and updated it to 8.11.18.1146 and rebooted.  The update is available in VAIO Update (desktop).  Now my screen brightness can be adjusted, as I normally did, with the Fn Key!

Hope this helps other VAIO users.  Good Luck!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-03T07:09:36+00:00

    Funny how life is. I was having problems with my brightness since I updated to Win8.1, I got tired of the brightness and decided today to do something about it. I tried to do all the Vaio updates, read through all these and really didn't find any that worked for my Vaio E Series SVE1413CCXW

    AND THEN I noticed Windows Update had this waiting to be installed:

    Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

    Installation date: ‎3/‎2/‎2014 10:37 PM

    Installation status: Succeeded

    Update type: Optional

    Intel Corporation Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 software update released in January, 2014

    Now my Brightness controls work just fine :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-23T17:21:51+00:00

    this worked for me as well, after turning off 'enable adaptive display' for all the power options and in the vaio control centre, my brightness still kept reverting to 100% - but turning off the Display Brightness setting in the IMAGE QUALITY finally did the trick - even when 'enable adaptive display' is turned back on!! so thanks! 

    I am unable to find Display Brightness under Image Quality in Vaio Control Centre. My Model is SVF15215SNW with Win8.1. I get only 2 options in Image Quality - External Display Resolution and Display Color Mode. Under the 1st one, all options are grayed out, meaning we have to connect an external display for the options to work. Under the 2nd option, I get 4 sub options - do not apply color mode, vivid, natural and text. 

    So do you mean to change the color mode to do not apply color mode? When you say Turning off display brightness setting.

    My Vaio Control Centre version is 6.2.11.09270. How to update this and what is the latest version?

    TIA.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-07T07:17:37+00:00

    this worked for me as well, after turning off 'enable adaptive display' for all the power options and in the vaio control centre, my brightness still kept reverting to 100% - but turning off the Display Brightness setting in the IMAGE QUALITY finally did the trick - even when 'enable adaptive display' is turned back on!! so thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T01:53:06+00:00

    Hey friends I was also having the same problem first i changed the power settings  but it doesn't seems to be working then i tried updating vaio and the problem was fixed, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-02T06:34:39+00:00

    Thanks Steven-Chen and coffeebeanski. Switching off Enable Adaptive Brightness solved my problem. I agree that it should be easier to find this setting.

    (For completeness, my problem was that after upgrading to Windows 8.1 the screen brightness would not change despite moving the brightness slider)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments