Thanks very much for this suggestion! I had also done a few Google searches, strange enough I had not come across this link. I'm going to ask Gigabyte, the manufacturer of my motherboard, about this.
Shut-off after 60 seconds Bitlocker
Hi,
When I leave the Bitlocker log-in screen inactive for 60 seconds the computer just shuts off. Is this a feature, a bug, or some hardware issue? I already reinstalled Windows.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-02-12T23:18:20+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-10-07T17:13:06+00:00 I have exactly the same problem with a Dell XPS8700. It will frequently take at least 2 or 3 attempts to get the password in before it closes down. The most it has ever gone is about 6 times before it would accept the whole password (17 characters). I have never seen it stay on for more than 10 seconds at anytime. I have had the problem ever since I activated Bitlocker. I would really like to know what the issue is, I'm stumped.
-
Anonymous
2014-10-07T17:44:34+00:00 Have you tried booting in safe mode? www.vindamedia.com/windows/help/how-to-boot-in-safe-mode
-
Anonymous
2014-10-16T17:16:07+00:00 I was experiencing the same issue with my Dell XPS 8700. I finally downloaded the BIOS update from Dell's website (although it was the same version I already had installed).
The key was that I noticed the warning to suspend Bitlocker prior to installing the update! So, I downloaded the BIOS update, suspended Bitlocker (which resumes upon reboot), and installed the update. I haven't had any problems since. Good luck!
-
Anonymous
2014-10-17T10:41:57+00:00 I was experiencing the same issue with my Dell XPS 8700. I finally downloaded the BIOS update from Dell's website (although it was the same version I already had installed).
The key was that I noticed the warning to suspend Bitlocker prior to installing the update! So, I downloaded the BIOS update, suspended Bitlocker (which resumes upon reboot), and installed the update. I haven't had any problems since. Good luck!
Thanks Jared, interesting. I updated the BIOS only a couple of weeks ago hoping it would resolve the issue, but I have to say, I saw no warning about suspending Bitlocker first. Maybe it was because it was one of a number of simultaneous updates (or I was asleep at the wheel !).
When I get back to the PC I will download it again and suspend Bitlocker before installing.
I'll let you know how it goes in about 10 days.